Saturday, May 12, 2007

Where Are People's Common Sense When They Drive

I know this has nothing to do with wine & food, but lately I have had more than a few instances lately of people cutting over lanes to make a turn, or just plain stop in a lane and try to merge over to make a turn. This is on city streets not the freeway. (That's another story) I would assume that you should know where you are going and if you are going to be making a right or left hand turn. Even if you are using a map or directions you still know which way you will be turning. It seems that it would make common sense to get into the appropriate lane at least a few blocks before you need to make the turn.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

While I agree with your comments, it's a huge assumption. There are plenty of people around who don't have the vaguest clue how of the route from A to B. It is quite possible that they are using maps/sat nav that is completely out of date.

On a recent trip to Portugal, I found that entire freeways had been built. These were not even marked as "under construction" on the map I had bought less than 12 months previously. Obviously I benefited from this, but I can imagine the opposite experience for others, where both city streets and freeways have been altered.