Wednesday, May 23, 2007

French Champagnes & Bordeaux - Right Bank

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Our monthly gathering of "winos" took place today. This could have been called Grand Cru St. Emilion. Of the 12 red wines brought, 8 were Grand Cru from St. Emilion. I wonder what will happen next month at our "Grand Cru", "Premier Cru" & "First Growth" tasting in June.

A few things stood out today. One of the champagnes I really liked was the NV Agrapart & Fils, Les 7 Cru, Brut.

There were two older wines brought, both 1993, Grand Cru, St. Emilion. Different Chateaus. Old wine is very interesting. The color turns copper, the fruit becomes less jammy, but the wine still holds a certain elegance to it and you can still taste the layers and complexity. I think it becomes an aquired taste (like scotch)

I did like the 2000 Chateau Couey, Montagne - Maurese, St, Emilion.

Strange that I do not care for Merlots, yet that is what these wines were. Perhaps California winemakers try to make Merlots to take the place of Cabernet and miss what the wine should really be.

Nothing to exciting to "blog" about except that we always seem to have a couple of wines brought to our monthly gatherings that do not meet the theme. This time I was the culprit. I have had a "champagne" in the vinotemp waiting for this tasting. When I looked at the label when I was getting ready to leave my "casa" the label indicated "Blanc de Noirs" Traditionnelle Methode. It was a French sparkling brought in by Charles B. Mitchell Winery in Fairplay, California. They were the "negociant" of this wine. Everyone agreed that it was very nice, but alas it did not meet the criteria for the theme. For this I get 989 lashes with the "wet noodle". Senility is getting closer all the time.


No comments: