Sunday, March 24, 2024

Sea Smoke Southing Magnum Dinner at The India Restaurant

 March 23, 3024

The India Restaurant


CJ donated the wines for tonight's dinner. A 2007, 2009 and 2010 Sea Smoke Southing Pinot Noir. All magnums. 9 of us for this dinner.  I personally thought the 07 and 09 were very close in structure and taste. The 09 seemed to be a bit more elegant but not by much.  Everyone must have liked the 09 best as it was the first bottle emptied.  The 2010 lacked depth. It was good but you kept waiting for something that never came. But an excellent showing of Sea Smoke. Different years and different winemakers. 

Started out with a few appetizers.  Papadam with sauces.  This is an item I avoid. Just cannot get into it, so I never eat it.  To me it is eating thin cardboard. But that is a personal preference Samosas, Chicken Tikka Masala Sauce and Chicken Tandoori along with the must have Garlic Naan.  I had a Samosas, which were very good along with the Naan. but no Masala sauce. Also did not eat any of the chicken. It did look good but I am so burned out on chicken. I cook it 2 to 3 times a week at home and just cannot bring myself to eat it when dining out. 

Main dishes started arriving.  Navratan Korma which is vegetables in a yogurt cream sauce. This dish was very good. Sauce was excellent.

Chicken Tikka Masala.  Did not taste - again it is chicken. Maybe next time it shows up on a dinner I will be over my distaste for chicken when dining out. 

Lamb Saag. Pieces of lamb in a spinach curry. Excellent dish. Meat was very tender and had very good flavor. Would have liked a bit more meat in ratio to the sauce. It was serving 4 to5 people so a bit skimpy on the meat especially when I was not eating any of the chicken. But that is on me. 

Also the traditional Basmati Rice which taste like nothing until you add the sauces etc. That goes for all plain rice. It is a filler. 

A very enjoyable evening. Talked with people that I had not seen in a very long time. Good conversation, good food and excellent wine. What more is there ? 

No comments: