Monday, April 1, 2024

Lunch At The Black Trumpet

 Friday, March 29, 2024

Have not been to the Black Trumpet since it moved from their location on Beach Blvd. 8 years ago. Tapa style bar and restaurant.  Much larger place than before. I am assuming they fill the place up but at 12:30 on a Friday afternoon it was sparse.  But it is also Easter weekend so that could be a factor.

There are 4 of us today.  Extensive menu and blackboard specials. More than 2 items confuse me so I told my companions to order and I would work around their choices. 

Started out with Patalas Panaderas which are a Spanish style of fried potatoes.  They were OK but not stellar. 

Next was fried, crispy calamari, Rings and tentacles. Again OK but not stellar. I found the rings to be on the skimpy side and not much to them.  Mostly batter. Came with an Arrabiata sauce. 

Seared Ahi on a chip. OK but the Ahi did not impress. Nothing wrong but nothing great.

We had a Pizzette Margherita, this was the best of the food items. Very flavorful. Nice small pieces but you got a mouthful of flavor. 

A tray of dessert items was presented. A plate of "dumplings" were ordered. Soft fried pieces of dough filled with a creamy, cheesy mixture. Again OK.  I had a piece of Chocolate "cake". Hard shell chocolate over several layers of cake with a cream filling between. An oversize petit four.  It was good but should have not ordered it after a meal. Way too much for me. 

A bottom of a Spanish red wine was consumed. Cannot remember the varietal but it was a good wine.

A bit of a disappointment as I remember the food at the other location being much better. But it also could be that since I have this digestive issue things do not taste the same to me.  If I had been doing the ordering I would have chosen different but I opted out of that so it is on me.  A nice lunch with friends. 

Unfortunately something really disagreed with me today and I paid the price for a couple of days. 




No comments: