Sunday, September 9, 2018

Fuego Restaurant at The Maya

Saturday, September 8, 2018

This was Margie's pick for her September dinner. www.fuegolongbeach.com. We have been here several times before. Always seems to be a change in management so it does become difficult for Margie to have continuity in a relationship with staff.  When we got to the restaurant they had us set up at a table that was angled away from the view and in the sun. So what is the point of sitting outside if there is no view. And wine bottles in the sun is a real no no.  The staff finally set up another table which was better but not nearly as inviting as the tables we have had in the past.

Weather was perfect for dining al freso. It had been warm during the day but was perfect for the evening.

In order to get a good price it is almost a prix fixe menu. Choice of soup or salad. 3 choices for a main and 2 choices for dessert.. This was set up as $50 per person plus tax and  mandatory 18% gratuity for larger groups.

Chips, salsa, bread and butter were in abundance on the table. I refrained from any of it so I would not fill up before dinner.

I selected the salad which was greens with chili dusted pecans, goat cheese,  heirloom tomatoes and cilantro (which I do not eat). Fuji apples and a creamy chipotle dressing. Salad was good but half way through eating they are bringing out the mains. It was like they were trying to rush you through dinner. The restaurant was not that busy and a lot of empty tables so I have no reason why the big rush.

I picked the salmon for my main by default. The other choices were chicken which I very rarely order in restaurants. I eat too much at home and for lunches. And flank steak which I am not a big fan of.
The salmon was OK - I don't know if it was wild caught but I would guess it was farm raised. It was moist for the most part, a tad dry in some areas. Quinotto, arugula , citrus zest, roasted almonds ( never saw them) dried cherries (one) parsley, zathar, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and lemon aioli (did not taste the aioli at all) .  The dish was OK but nothing to write home about.

Dessert was the saving grace. I chose the Chocolate Trio, rounds of  bitter sweet chocolate, milk and white chocolate, stacked with granache icing and raspberry sauce. This was very good.

The food here at Fuego is a take on South American cuisine. For the most part I have been happy with prior selections. Just did not do much for me this year

We had an odd selection of wines.  I brought a 2012 Loring, Garys Vineyard, Pinot Noir which was showing OK, not great like I thought it should be. And a 2014 Tercero, Verbiage Blanc which was a white Rhonde blend. Normally I am not into white rhone grapes but Larry made a really nice wine. It went well with the salad and the salmon.  I also had a 2011 Clos Pepe, Sparkling Brut Rose of Pinot Noir but it was about 6 months past prime.  I had the waiter dump it.

2013 Frank Family, Carneros, Pinot Noir - nice on the light side as most Carneros Pinots are
2012 Carol Shelton, Zinfandel - new winery for me - ok wine
2012 Terra Noble, Chile Cabernet Sauvignon - can't remember if I tasted this or not
NV Bonaval, Spain, Cava Brut - a nice sparkling, light and refreshing
2017 Longoria, Clover Creek Vineyard, Albarino - this wine was very good - you can never go wrong with a Longoria Albarino.
2011 Tablas Creek, Espitit de Tables  - did not taste
2014 Cowhorn, Marsanne/Rousenne blend - did not taste
2015 Mi Jueno, Chardonnay - too much butter
2015 Ken Brown, Sanford & Benedict, Pinot Noir - very good wine but Ken Browns wine always are
NV, 14 Hands, Columbia Valley Brut Rose - again a nice light refreshing sparking
2015 Brooks, Willamette Valley, Pinot Noir - typical light Pinot
2016 Cakebread, Napa, Sauvignon Blanc - did not taste

No comments: