Thursday, September 20, 2018

French Bistro Dinner at The Playground

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Been many months since I was at the Playground.  www.playgrounddtsa.com.  At least Jason recognized me when I rushed in.  I usually give my self 90 minutes to get to downtown Santa Ana from work. Today was a nightmare. Took me 40 minutes to where it usually takes 20 minutes. Very heavy truck traffic. By really pushing through 3 yellow lights I was able to pick up some time. I was about 12 minutes late getting there. But they were 4 of people that came in later than I did. At least I wasn't holding up the show.

This is a 13 course dinner.  Jason took a picture of his working menu for me so I didn't have to continually write everything down. They had an 8:00 dinner tonight also so I couldn't take the menu home.  No one knows what they will be eating at the Playground  except for the general theme of the dinner. Everything is a surprise. I like it because I do not have to make decisions.  Everything is made in house.

We started out with a cocktail made with cognac, vermouth, plum, lemon and sparkling rose wine.
This was so good. I could have drank numerous glasses of it.

Then the housemade brioche bun with housemade butter. They come fresh and straight from the oven. They really have their timing down to a science here.

A salad Lyonnaise was next.  Greens with warm bacon vinaigrette , fingerling potatoes confit & chips, azark egg and pickled shallots. To die for. Dressing was not acidic at all . Just a nice warm taste. A 2017  Cassis was paired with this dish.

A roasted baby beet, red & yellow, marinated in shallot oil,  Vadouvin aioli, goat cheese, orange, hazelnut, mint. Another dish that I could have eaten a lot of. But you learn to pace yourself at these dinners. 

A huge bowl of Price Edward Island Mussels with an absolutely wonderful sauce was set down in front of us. These were the best mussels I have ever had. Tender, succulent and great flavor.

A 2015 Vinealis Pouilly Fume was the next wine poured.

Fish en pappiotte, wild mushrooms (4 kinds), green beans, lemon, thyme and butter. White fish baked in parchment paper. So delicate.

A creamed corn souffle with grueye cheese. Just a large spoonful was enough. It is so rich.

Moules frites, creme fraiche-dijon -white wine sauce, shallot, garlic, chives aioli. French fries never tasted so good.

A 2016 Domaine Y. Clerget, Meursault was the next wine selection. 

Melted leeks, garlic sabayon and buckwheat . Unusual combination but again so good.

Grilled pork belly (my favorite) au poivre. Tender and succulent 

A Crozes Hermitage was the first red wine. A very nice syrah.

Braised short rib, pommes puree. The potatoes were so smooth and creamy. Loaded with butter. Meat was extremely tender and had such good flavor.

Roasted baby vegetables, carrots, turnips and pearl onions. I was getting full and I knew we had dessert coming so I did pass on this dish.

2007 Chateau Pradeaux Bandol. 10 years in oak before bottling. Still had noticeable tannins. 

Now the desserts.

Baked Camembert, apple compote drizzled with salted caramel,  A apricot financier drizzled with white chocolate and Pot du creme, raspberries marinated in raspberry syrah and chantily. They make their own syrup.  I don't remember much except it is in a plastic bag that they warm the raspberries in and it creates a syrup that they drain off.

Last wine is a 2015 Domiane de la Taille Aux Loups, Montlouis Sur Loire Moelleux.  Not overly sweet and paired very well with all the desserts. 

I have never had a bad dish here at the Playground. They are stellar cooks and take great pride in putting forth the best food they can. Nothing is ever scrimped regarding quality. This type of dining is not for everyone. If you are picky or have allergies these prix fixe dinners are not for you. Never do they make substitutions.  If you fall into that category then there is the main restaurant that you can dine at. You sit at a long bar that seats 18 people on the higher bar stools. They have done a bit of renovation lately but the set up is the same. These are not inexpensive dinners , $175 to $200 but it is inclusive. You purchase a ticket on line. No refunds. If something happens and you cannot attend then give your ticket to someone who can.  For what you get, quality, numerous courses and beverages and a good "show" put on by the chefs it is well worth it. 


No comments: