Thursday, August 23, 2018

Trefethen Wines at Chianina

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

What better way to celebrate my fathers birth, 111 years ago than to have a great wine dinner. He would be proud.

I have missed the last 2 wine dinners at Chianina due to prior commitments. I was surprised at all the new staff. A few hold overs but new people. Way more female wait staff than before. And Michael Dene the owner was no where around. He usually pops in at these wine dinners and makes the rounds.  Makes you wonder what is in the air.  I have noticed at a couple other dining establishments that there seems to be a big turnover in staff the last few months.

We started out with a Tagliatelle with Dungeness crab, Meyer lemon and fine herbs. This dish was my favorite of the evening. Loads of flavor, light lemon and the pasta was perfect. Paired beautifully with a 2017 Trefethen, Napa, Dry Rielsing.  Just a hint of sweetness. I really liked this wine, Judy thought it was too dry.

Second course is a Tasmanian Ocean Trout with smoked trout rillette and grilled summer squash. Tasmanian ocean trout looks like salmon and has the same consistency in the flesh. The squash was very small "buttons" of yellow and zucchini and a puree of squash poured onto the side of the dish. Flavors blended well. The wine is a 2016 Trefethen, Napa, Chardonnay. My favorite again - too damm oaky for me. The fattiness of the fish did help cut the oak. But again we had to listen to the rep tell us how fabulous butter, vanilla and oak are in Chardonnay. I drank the wine with the food but I would never drink a glass of this by its self.

Next is a Superior Farm Lamb, a piece of loin and a piece of "lamb belly". Top fat and meat underneath like pork belly. It was good. Served with Romano wax beans and Greek yogurt. I had part of this dish and had it packed to go.  We have steak coming up and I am starting to fill. A 2015 Trefethen, Napa, Cabernet Sauvignon was the selection. A nice cab for a cab. It was a good pairing.

Fourth course is a Filet of Chianina Beef, creamed corn, summer truffle and roasted new potatoes. Perfect piece of beef. I originally thought I would take part of this dish home but decided I needed to savor that meat so I forced myself. So glad I did because the something would be lost in the translation if I reheated this dish.  Paired with a 2015 Trefethen, Napa, Dragons Tooth, a bordeaux grape blend.  My favorite wine of the evening.  Very balanced, velvet on the mouth, dark fruit, low tanins. A very nice drinking wine.

Thankfully the dessert was light and small. A scoop of housed made Apricot sorbet. Very creamy and a light apricot flavor. Perfect ending to the meal.

I  outdid myself lately,  in 12 days I have had 6 wine dinners and a wine tasting.  I can rest for a bit. I will say it was getting to be slightly over whelming. I have had so much rich food that I think a few days of soup is in order.  Only one more event in August then we will see what September brings beside dinner at Nayada, Fuego and The Playground.

No comments: