Monday, August 13, 2018

Birthday Dinner a "A" Restaurant in Newport Beach

Sunday, August 13, 2018

Susan threw  herself a birthday bash at "A" restaurant tonight. Small private room off the bar area, Two tables and approximately 12 people. Noisy, noisy, noisy and a bit warm.

I started off with the white corn soup. Excellent. They puree white corn and blend it with cream. I could have stopped here with the soup. Did not eat any bread because dinner was coming.

I had ordered a "block cut" New York strip. "A" is known for their steaks. But I think I made a mistake in this cut of beef. The flavor was good but I did not like the sinewy fat running through it. I would never order this cut again, Had a side of mushrooms which were excellent..

Dessert was interesting. The kitchen is always experimenting with desserts, This one was gooey and good but a pain to eat. The crust had to be cut with a steak knife. They called it some kind of chocolate tart. They should have left the tart off the plate. Would have been better off with a plain bowl of house made ice cream.

So I was a bit disappointed overall with my dinner.  We got a big discount on everything so that helped ease the pain.

I took a bottle of 2011 Tercero "The Climb " blend of Syrah and petite syrah, Very good wine that went well with the steak. There also was a bottle of Ripasso and a bottle of Pinot Gris.  Not big wine drinkers in this group. 

But a nice gathering for Susan for her birthday. A big disappointment in my selections for dinner. Have had much better food here at "A":.

No comments: