Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Cheese Addiction

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Margie's monthly wine activity was the "Cheese Addictition",   www.cheeseaddiction.com,   at Bella Terra. They also have  store in Belmont Shore but the parking there is impossible.   There were 15 of us so at 2 tables of 12 three of us were seated with other patrons of the store. Nice group we were with and a lot quieter that the other table.  We had 11 cheeses and we all brought wine to pair with the cheeses.

I brought a "Hafen" port style Dornfelder and a Sauterne. I found that those two wines just about covered all 11 cheeses.   I had 6 glasses in front of me with different wines. I tried them all with the cheeses and for my taste a Roussane,  my two wines and a bubbly were the best fit.

After looking at the list of what people brought I had to shake my head and ask" what were they thinking".  A couple of my favorite cheeses were a Pave du Marin, Pumpkin Spice Gouda, and Great Ocean Road Cheddar.  They had a Feta in Olive Oil that was quite good. The cheese itself was creamy, not dry and salty as Feta usually is.

List of wines this evening are as follows - I did not taste the majority of them due to being split from the group.

2015 Hart, Temecula Zinfandel
NV   Roederer, Brut Rose 
2015 Penner Ash, Old Vine Riesling
2014 Addendaum, Cab/Syrah blend
2013 Sierra Roble, Cabernet
2012 Monetemar, Pinot Noir
2016 Rombauer, Sauvignon Blanc - not to my taste and did not go well with the cheeses
NV   Herman J Wiemer Rose Cuvee - decent wine but limited to what cheeses
2014 Chateau Jalouise Bordeaux
2014 Babcock, Sauvignon Blanc
2007 Sea Smoke, Pinot Noir - good wine but I did not find a cheese I liked it with
NV   Monsigny, Brut Champagne - very nice
2016 Pascal Jolivet, Sancerre
2011 Clayhouse. Temp/Cab/Syrah/Tannat - would be better with a hamburger
2013 Two Vintners, Roussane - very good and I was very surprised how it paired with a lot of the cheese
2013 Merriman, Sauvignon Blanc - not a fan
2014 Suber, Dornfelder "Hafen" went well with the drier cheeses
2010 Petit Guiraud, Sauterne - went with everything

No comments: