Thursday, September 28, 2017

ZD Wine Dinner at Chianina

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Another sold out wine dinner for Chianina. www.chianina.com.  This dinners wine selection was from ZD Wines in Napa.  www.zdwines.com.

We started out with a 2015 Carneros Chardonnay, slightly oaked but paired well with the poached lobster, yukon potatoes, corn and pequillo peppers.  This dish was sublime. Rich and flavorful , the peppers added just the amount of spiciness to offset the richness of the lobster.

Second course served was a truffled cavatelli with black truffle, coddled egg and mushroom beurre blanc. Great flavor but I have always had a problem with cavatelli. I always equate it to a heavy , dense gnocchi. I really prefer a pasta that is lighter in texture. The sauce was good but the coddled egg need maybe 30 more seconds of cook time. The white was just a bit too runny. Paired with a 2014 Carneros Pinot Noir. This wine was fruity, balanced and a good choice with the dish.

Next the third course consisted of duck breast, preserved cherry, confit leg and braised turnips.  Duck was cooked perfectly, very rich dish. The 2014 Carneros, Founders Reserve Pinot Noir was a bit more balanced that the previous wine.

A 2014 Napa Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon was paired with a charcoal grilled shortrib, honeynut squash, tuscan kale, two ways and a bordelaise sauce. The sort rib was slow cooked for 72 hours, then sous vide before grilling. One of the best tasting shortrib I have had. The kale was sauteed and also fried crisp. Wine was a prefect pairing. 

Dessert was a chocolate mousse with raspberry and hazelnuts. Served with a 2008 Muffato, slightly sweet but not too.

We had the option for $80 more to add a pour of XIX Abacus. Retails for $495 a bottle.
Which is a blending of numerous  years of the premium cabernet.  The winery does it solera style with adding  the new wine to the older vintages in the small barriques. This was to be served with a 2 oz piece of  chianina rib eye.   I passed on this. Could not justify the added price tag  But when I was getting my car from valet I heard someone call my name. Turned around and there was a wine rep I knew. He represented the winery. Asked if I had the Abacus which I told him no, I just could just not justify the price.  He informed me that if he had seen me inside the restaurant he would have given me a taste.  Sometimes in life timing is everything and tonight my timing was off.

A very good dinner. Presentation was beautiful, food looked and tasted great, wines were good. A very good evening.

No comments: