Friday, September 1, 2017

German Wine Dinner at Delius

Saturday, August 26, 2017

This has been an annual event at Delius for eons. www.deliusrestaurant.com.  I almost missed this years because I had put down the wrong date for my high school reunion and thought they were on the same date. Fortunately I am getting old and my mistakes sometimes become helpful.  There were 4 people at the singles table along with Alle the wine rep and her SO. 

We started out with a glass of 2014 von Buhl, Pfalz,  Riesling Sekt Brut. Nice and refreshing, crisp and clean. A nice way to start the evening.

First course served was a Kumamoto Oyster with Togarashi (Japanese five spice) and cucumber caviar. Very tiny balls of cucumber.  A lady at our table had never had an oyster before so we initiated her into the "suck and swallow" club.  Paired with a 2015 Wagner Stempel, Rheinhessen, Pinot Blanc. Really like this wine. Second best of the night.

Next is an Avocado Salad with carmelized onions, baby arugula, valanecia ornage supremes, citrus vinaigrette and pumpkin seed dust. Interesting combination and  they worked well together. The salad was very good.  A 2013 Schnaitmann, Wurttemberg, 3 Star, Sauvignon Blanc was the wine selected. Least wine liked for me. To grassy and acidic. I also thought the Pinot Blanc went well with this dish

Third course was a Chorizo sauteed white tiger shrimp over goat cheese hominy grits, lime oregano foam.. Loads of flavor and the grits were exceptionally good.  Paired with a 2013 Schloss Schonborn, Rheingau, Riesling Spatlese Feinherb, Hochheimer Domedchaney.  Two sweet for me. Went well with the dish but this is the only wine that I did not finish. I really preferred the Pinot Blanc.

A 2012 Wachtstetter, Wurttemberg, Lemberger Dry "Felix" was poured with the best dish of the night. A fresh ricotta and egg raviolo with slow braised lamb shoulder. The pasta was tender and when you broke into it the egg oozed out. Soft and creamy.  The wine and the food were my favorite tonight.

Dessert consisted of a Frog Hollow Farms Cal red peach cobbler with cherry pomegrante ice cream. Nice, light dessert to end a meal.

Dave brought the chef out that was in charge of and cooked this dinner. Mike was his name. They are grooming him to open the new place at the Long Beach Promenade. I really wish they would keep him at the Signal Hill location.  Liked his cooking so much better than Kate's.   I know Kate tries but I just cannot get into her cooking style and her flavors.  It has been numerous months since Patrick left and it reflects into how many dinners I will do at Delius. There are others who feel the same. We have not done a monthly prix fixe dinner in quite awhile due to the change in chefs. 

No comments: