Friday, November 18, 2016

Stag's Leap wines at Chianina

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Chianina in Naples, www.chianina.com, hosted a Stag's Leap Wine Cellar dinner this evening. Met up with 3 others and was looking forward to the evening.  As always we started out with the basket of rolls. So addicting. I did limit myself to 2 rolls tonight but I could have eaten the whole basket by myself. Their Marscapone butter is to die for.

We started out with a Hamachi  Crudo and green apple. Just a bite but refreshing and very good flavor. Chianina always seems to throw in a couple of bites of something good outside of the menu.

We were poured the 2015 Aveta Sauvignon Blanc. Nice wine not to acidic. Went well with the Hamachi and the third glass went well with the first course of Grilled Prawn with saffron rice chip. The prawns had a sauce on them which helped the flavor. I was not impressed with the prawns. Thought they tasted old, were slightly overcooked and for prawns they were small. They had the heads on he plate which had been deep fried. Ate one of them but it was not much to get excited about. The head I had at the sushi place in Shell Beach was ten times the size and much better tasting.  At least I had 3 glasses of wine to help out.

Second course was a John Dory roll in eggplant with Castelvetrano olive, sweet pepper. Flavor was OK but I was not thrilled with this dish either. Something was very lacking .  A 2014 Karia Chardonnay was the pairing. Oaky but did blend itself with the dish. Gave most of mine away.

We were then presented with a little bite of a Fried Risotto ball with black trumpet mushrooms and talleggo cheese. This was good. Should had  this as one of the courses.

A 2013 Artemis Cabernet Sauvignon was paired with the Roasted Liberty Farm Duck, celery root, beet and fall vegetable puree. Puree was excellent. Duck was good but I have had better flavor from duck. Maybe a tad more seasoning.

Fourth Course was the Grilled Chinina Rib Eye with Maitake mushrooms, peewee potato and Farm Lot mustard frill. I did not taste any of this dish. Just had them box it up and took it home. I ate it for dinner the next day, reheated, steak was good but not great. Potatoes were under cooked. Two wines were served. A 2013 Fay Cabernet Sauvignon and a 2013 S.L.V. Cabernet Sauvignon. The Fay was drinking were nicely but the SLV would be one for holding.

The Fifth Course was not listed as dessert. Turned out to be a Foie Gras parfait with house made biscotti. Had some kind of nuts and maybe golden raisins in top. It has a very creamy texture like a very soft pudding. You could taste the Foie Gras but it also had a hint  of a taste of malt.. Not would I would pick for dessert. They did serve a 2013 Muffato Della Sala with this dish. Sweet but not over bearing. 

I was not really super happy about this dinner. Food had some flaws. Wines were good but to me a 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon is way to young to drink. But I also realize they are not going to be pouring their cellar wines. The idea is to get you to buy the newer releases.  

But the company was good and it was a nice evening.  But then on Friday I get a notice from from credit card company about fraudulent charges. Seems someone lifted my number. I last used the card at Chianina. Had to cancel my card again. Earlier this year same thing happened after I  dined at Russo's. Fraud department told me that restaurants and gas stations were the places that cards are compromised the most. 

No comments: