Sunday, November 13, 2016

Margie's Monthy Wine Dinner - At Issara

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Back to Issara Thai restaurant, www.issarathaicuisine.com,  for our monthly dinner.  15 people and 19 wines.  8 courses and rice. A little overwhelming.  I probably tasted 8 wines and did not eat much of three of the dishes.

We did drink a toast to our friend, Terry, who passed away this week, with a 2008 McKeon-Phillips, BPR, Cabernet Sauvignon. One of Terry's favorite wines. He now joins his wife Cora and friends, Edie, Rose and Gary at that big wine bar above. We will all join them some day. Hope they save some wines for us. 

Started out with 3 appetizers. Issara Chicken Wings, some of the tasting wings around. E-Saan sausage which is grilled rice and pork, which had really nice flavor and Beef Satay which is always a hit. Beef was very tender and the peanut sauce was rich without being too much.

A salad of artichoke, shrimp, chicken breast, creamy coconut dressing, toasted peanuts,  hard boiled eggs and cilantro. This was very good. I could  have eaten more of this dish . I will remember it when I eat at Issara again.

We had 4 entrees along with steamed rice. I did not eat any of the Duck with Red Curry and only had one very tiny piece of the Mu Yang pork. It was way too much food for me.  I did enjoy the Kua-Kai Noodle dish but only had about a quarter cup of it. Had one piece of fried sole.  A did see a large bag of leftovers go out the door. I am sure I was not the only one that could not everything that was presented. It is a pain getting older, your appetite drops but the weight doesn't. I eat way less than I used to. 

The wines were a mix. A few were not good at all. Lot of Champagnes and sparklings. Margie likes to move wines down the tables after awhile so everyone gets chance to taste. But some of those wines never moved from in front of the person that brought it. When I saw the list of what was brought I noticed that there were at least 5 wines that I never saw throughout the entire evening.

But a good dinner with some nice wines and pleasant company.

No comments: