Saturday, November 12, 2016

Road Trip

Friday, November 4, 2016 to Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Back up to Avila Beach for the SLO Fall Festival. Took one hour to drive less than 25 miles on the freeway when I got on the road. Had three accidents slowing traffic on the way up. Not the best start to a getaway. Also could only get three days at my time share. Seems someone who owns 50 timeshares at the resort had them all booked that week. 

Stopped at Huber Winery to say hello to Traudl and Norman. Had to pickup some paperwork that Traudl translated for me. She can read and write in the old German script which I was very appreciative of. 

Saturday morning off to the festival. It is held on the golf course right next to the resort. Very convenient.  Saw a few people from down south and had a good time tasting and eating. But my age is starting to show.  Maybe this will be my last trip up to Avila.

That evening went off to Kanpai Sushi in Shell Beach for dinner. Had the Nigiri Omakase plate and a Morimoto Imperial beer. 

Sunday I forced myself not to go to all the open houses in SLO. It was all free but I knew I would buy wine and add several cases . I just have to back off buying.  I find out that Ember  opened at 4:00 on Sunday afternoon . It is a restaurant that I have been wanting to try for since it opened. Timing just did not work out before.  I stopped at the Taste of the Valley wine bar in Pismo Beach and did a tasting. Did buy two bottles of Baker and Brain (yes brain) Gruner Veltliner. A very good wine.

Arrived at Ember in Arroyo Grande about 4:20. The place was half filled by then. By the time I got my food the place was packed. Food was excellent. Service was excellent.  They served a basket of bread. House made Rosemary Foccacia and a house made Country bread with a sourdough taste to it.
Ordered an appetizer of Pork Belly, Abalone and Cilantro Cream Sauce.  To die for. So good. Then onto a plate of  Polpette,  lamb meatballs with a spicy cheese sauce. I filled up on bread so I ate one meatball and had them pack the remainder for the next day. Enjoyed a glass of Au Bon Climant Pinot Noir.

Left Monday morning to check in at the Hotel in Solvang. Decided to spend two nights before heading home.  I swung by the Wine Ghetto in Lompoc before checking in. I had heard about a glass blower opening a shop there.  Ended up my a few Christmas presents.  Stopped at Industrial Eats in Buellton for dinner. Ended up with a Wild Mushroom Pizza which was dynamite. Loaded with mushrooms and spinach.

Tuesday morning after breakfast at the hotel I wandered down the block to the Jules Hus. A Christmas  ornament store than remains open all year. Picked up a few item but for some reason not much appealed to me. Then off to Los Olivos . Unfortunately J. Wilkes was closed as was Tercero. Stopped in at Stolpman and did buy eight bottles of wine. The cheapest I have gotten out of there. Usually pick up three cases or more. I am trying to cut back.  On the way back I drove into Santa Ynez and had a late lunch at Trattoria Grappolo. Ordered the Veal Scaloppine which was very good and had a glass of their house chardonnay. No oak so it was on my side of liking. Took an order of Tiramisu back with me to eat later this evening.

Wednesday morning was on the road at 9:00. Wanted to miss the Santa Barbara work traffic and get into Los Angeles before it started there. Traffic was good until I hit the valley at 10:30  and then it was a crawl until past the airport.  Mileage was good for this trip. Put on 571 miles and got an average of 38 mpg. Used 15 gallons of gas. Not bad. 

This may be my last trip unless someone else drives. It is starting to get to me, Just cannot push like I used to.  



No comments: