Thursday, August 18, 2016

Wine & Fire

August 6 & 7, 2016.

This trip may be my last to this event. It is starting to get harder for me top walk around on all the rough surfaces. Might have to look at getting a cane to help. At least I did not have to drive again this year. We left Cerritos about 7 am Saturday morning and surprisingly got to Buellton about 9 AM. Two hours is really good time. We decided since we would be having a very large BBQ lunch at noon that we would skip the big breakfast at Ellens this year The seminar did not start until 10 AM but our thinking was arrive early so we don't have to walk so far. So much for "thinking". When we arrived at Hillard Bruce about 9:20 there were numerous cars ahead of us.

Seminar was good, had a great panel of winemakers from the area . Tasted 12 wines then broke for lunch. BBQ lunch was catered by the Hitching Post and was very good. View from the facility were perfect.

After checking in to the hotel we proceeded to go to the Mission for the Grand Tasting. The majority of the wineries in the Sta,. Rita Hills were represented . This is their big fest for the year. Saw about 2 dozen people that I knew at this years tasting. All from So. Ca.  This is the must go to for Sta. Rita Pinot fans. Wines were good, food was good and a very enjoyable evening among the trees at the Mission. Got to talk with a lot of winemakers I knew. Perfect evening.

Sunday morning we decided to hit the Los Alamos area. I had not been in years and Cindy never had been there,. Small town about 6 blocks long. There were 4 wine tasting rooms  and we hit them all. I will say nice wines, but not great wines. Frankly I was disappointed in all of them. Guess I was expecting more. I also found the prices high for what they were.  Had a sandwich at Well Bread. They open at 7AM and bake all their own bread . Good sandwich and people kept coming in and out all they time we were there. Busy spot.
Found out that Full, of Life Flatbread did not open until 5:00 so we left.

Ended up in Lompoc at Scratch Kitchen for dinner. Had the crabcakes for dinner and was very disappointed.  They were not cooked through. Took them back with me and recooked them when I got home. Tasted much better. Normally I would complain but I just wasn't up to it.  The Loaded Potato Soup was very good but rich. Glad I just ordered a cup. Tired and worn out. Things catch up with me faster these days.

Hit happy hour at the hotels bar. We got 4 free drinks every day we were there along with cook to order breakfast.

Up early Monday to return to So Cal.  It was a good trip but do not think I can handle this on my own anymore. If someone doesn't drive I will not be making this adventure again. I have done this fest for about 15 years. and it has always been the highlight of the summer.

No comments: