Tuesday, August 4, 2015

August's Meeting of The Wino's

August 2, 2015

Our monthly gathering - smaller group today, lot of people out of town. But the numbers worked perfectly. Everyone had a place to sit. Weather was warm and Doug's place does not have a lot of ventilation in the U shaped patio area. A bit better today than in the past but the whites were not cold enough and the reds just a tad warm.

The host cooked up salmon, brisket and pulled pork. I managed to find a piece of brisket that still had some pink on it. I have a hard time understanding why people like their meats cremated. There is no flavor, dry, hard to chew and swallow and hangs in your throat. But to each their own. People don't understand why I like my meat just this side of dead.

I did taste all the Champagnes and sparklings along with a "Blanc" Chateauneuf-du-Pape. The 2011 Schramsberg Blanc de Noir Brut was very good and I did like the 2012 Clos Pepe Brut Rose sparkling that I brought.

The only red wine I tried was a 1998 Vieux Telegraphe, La Cra, Chateauneuf-du-Pape which was excellent. I just wish the reds had been chilled just a little bit.

No comments: