Wednesday, March 25, 2015

March's Gathering of The Flock

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Today was our March's gathering of us winos. Theme today was French Grand Cru's. Somehow I really had a hard time understanding how so many people who profess to be knowledgeable about wine did not know the difference between Gand Cru and First Growth. I am beginning to wonder if these people ever read anything about wine or just drink. I had several people contact me because they thought they had to by a first growth at an expensive dollar amount.

Weather was perfect for an outdoor setting. Kelly and Dimitry's back yard and patio (unofficial commercial plant nursery) had numerous plants in bloom which added to the ambiance. Hummingbirds were in abundance in the late afternoon.

The hosts made Beef Bourguignon, which was excellent, as the main dish. Lots of appetizers and desserts today. No one went hungry.

We had 9 Champagnes, 2 whites and 10 reds . I tasted all the bubblies  and whites and then went to the reds. Unfortunately a couple of the reds were already consumed. So those of us who had not started on reds yet got shorted and there were several of us.  It seems that the double dippers were out in full force. To me it its amazing how inconsiderate people are. The rule has always been since the inception of the group 14 years ago that before you start tasting wines the second time you ask if everyone has had a chance to go through the line up.

Stan brought a couple of  older red wines. A 1990 Chambertin and a 1993 Saint Emilion. Most people don't really care for the taste of older wines but I do. Fortunately the double dippers didn't like them either. That made it good for me the next day (Monday) when we went back to Kelly & Dimitry's to finish the leftover food and wine. I could then taste most of the reds.

I brought a Robert Moncuit, Le Mesnil-Sur-Oger, Brut Champagne. Since tasting this champagne a couple of years ago it has become by "house" champagne. I like a yeasty champagne and this one has all the nuances of a Salon champagne at one tenth of the price.

So another wino gathering taken care of. Next month its some sort of Italian.

No comments: