Sunday, March 29, 2015

Joyce Vineyards and Delius Restaurant

Saturday, March 28, 2015

First wine dinner of the year at Delius, www.deliusrestaurant.com,. I was unfamiliar with the winery, Joyce Vineyards,  www.joycevineyards.com,. Looked them up and the founder was a Francis Joyce who apparently moved into the area because of the Laguna Seca race track. He raced in the SCCA series and also LeMans.  His son, Russell was the rep tonight along with his fiance and her sister. In the course of the conversation before dinner started I mentioned that this was my third wine dinner of the week and I made the statement that the food tonight would be superior to what I had a Ruth's Chris and at The Watertable at the Hyatt Regency. They had look of disbelief when I said that but they were really impressed with the food afterwards.

First course was Pan Seared Scallops with Sesame, Curly Endive and Chevre. Scallops were cooked perfectly, The endive had just the right amount of dressing. A simple dish but executed well. The wine poured was a 2013 Joyce, Monterey Stele (that's the way they spelled it) Chardonnay. It was clean, crisp a little citrus and green apple. Dijon clone. My style of Chardonnay. Very good pairing.

Second course served was a Duck Terrine, House Pickled Vegetables and Brioche. Terrine was full of flavor but the impressive item was the "vegetables". They were micro, mini. I am talking 1 inch carrots, 3/8 inch beets., turnips, with such a light pickle to them, They were addicting. The Brioche was housemade.  A 2014 Joyce, Monterey, Rose of Pinot Noir was paired. Good color, a little bit bigger Rose than some but well balanced. Went perfectly with the food.

Third course was my favorite of the evening. Farro Risotto, Oxtail, Mushrooms and Dried Cherries. The richness of the oxtail and mushrooms with the sweetness of the cherry. My only complaint is I wanted more.  Paired perfectly with a Joyce 2013 Monterey, Pinot Noir. Grapes are sourced from 3 vineyards.

Entree was a Grilled Hanger Steak, Squash Puree, Roasted Potatoes (white and purple), Farm Carrots and Sunchokes. The vegetables were cooked enough to get a fork unto them but not so over cooked that they were mushy. I was full by now but I did manage to eat most of this dish.  I probably should have taken it home.  A 2012 Joyce, San Benito, Cabernet Sauvignon was poured. I am not a big fan of cabs. The wine was good but since I do not drink cabs often I cannot really say how it compares to others. It went well with the dish so that is the most important thing.

Dessert was fabulous. Panna Cotta with a Blood Orange Granita. Excellent flavor but light and refreshing. I prefer this type of dessert after a big meal. Heavy, sweet desserts are a waste for me. I eat them because they are served not because I want them. I very rarely order a dessert after a meal and when I do the majority of the time I am disappointed.

Louise's shallot bread was served tonight. She does not make it as often as she used to so it was a treat.

Patrick Gallardo is the sous chef and for the last couple of years he has been in charge of the menu selection, recipe's and wine pairing. He is doing an  excellent job and just keeps getting better. He has a real knack of being able to pair the wine with the food without tasting the wine. I wish I had his instinct.


No comments: