Friday, May 23, 2014

Another Scotch Tasting

Thursday, May 15, 2014

ABC Liquor in Long Beach hosted another Scotch tasting by Gordon Macphail.  14 scotch's were poured ranging in price from $60 to $180 a bottle. Of course the intent of these tastings is to get you to buy some product.  I held firm this time and walked away with no purchase at all. I have some unopened bottles at home and it seems ridiculous to another. Also when I pay to attend one of these tastings I have no problem with no buying. If a tasting is free then I sometimes purchase on bottle to "cover the costs".

They did more one that was very unusual. From France and it was Brenne French Single Malt, Single Cask. Had a very light almost sweet taste to it. I did like it but I think too much of it and you would be turned off. The Benromach Golden Promise was very peaty. Not to my taste. Not into that heavy smoke taste.

Others poured tonight were, Glen Grant 10 yr., Inchgrower 13 yr., (we had fun with that name combined with Golden Promise), Speymalt Macallan 19 yr., Benromach Port Wood 12 yr., Montlach 15 yr., Scapa 10 yr., Glen Scotia 21 yr Cambeltown, Old Pultney 21 yr., (100% bourbon cask) , Coa 12 yr Cast Strength (very peaty), Benromach Organic, Tormore 14 yr (bourbon cask), and Speymalt Macallan 9 yr (European cask).

Besides a female wine rep who was invited at the very last minute, I was the lone female. At other "whisky" tastings there have been a few females but males predominate the group. You would think that the "women libers" would be screaming about being denied their "rights". But don't notice them showing up and doing these tastings. But bring on the bubbles and they are out in full force. But don't ever tell them there is a difference between the sexes.

No comments: