Sunday, March 23, 2014

Wine Seminar and Dinner at King's Fish House

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Today was Margie's March Wine Activity. Started out with a seminar at Total Wine on Oregon and Washington wines. Good seminar and informative. Discount on wines featured. Many people took advantage of the offer. Me, I am drinking, not buying. I have got to get the number of bottles I have down. I use a spreadsheet to keep track on my wines but it is becoming a chore. I go to look for a wine and it's not where I expected to find it. I have taken a written inventory of all the wines twice but I still have some problems. Really need to get the number of bottles down to about 250 and I will be happy.

After Total Wine we drove a few blocks to Kings Fish House. 16 of us for dinner. They had 2 booths and a table of 8 set up for us. This really split the group. I am beginning to think that these dinners should be kept at no more than 12. Again you could only converse with those right next or across from you.  Wines basically stayed on the table where there were first set, so again I tended to only try the wines right in front of me. Since I knew I would be ordering raw oysters, I kept a bottle of Chablis under the table and put my other bottle on the table to share. I wanted to make sure I had a wine I really liked with the oysters and this was the only way to do that. At the dinner at 555 I put a bottle on the table and kept a bottle of Champagne next to me because I wanted with my oysters. Someone spotted the Champagne and it went down the table and I only got a small pour of it.  I did share the Chablis with another person that was having oysters and after I finished my plate I did put the remaining Chablis on the table for everyone. 

Everyone around me ordered fish of some sort. I did not see what was ordered at the far end of the table and the other booth. Along with the oysters I ordered the Sea Bass and it was good. Just a tad overcooked for me but I realize restaurants have to cook to  certain temperature for safety reasons.

A wide assortment of wines showed up but it seemed like a lot of Chardonnays were staring a me.

2007 Rusack, Rancho Santa Rosa, Sta Rita Hills, Pinot Noir
2009 William Fevre, France, Chablis, 
2011 Testarossa, Santa Barbara County, Chardonnay
2011 Sonoma Loeb, Sonoma County, Chardonnay
2011 Loumar, Temecula Valley, Riesling
2008 Williams Seylem, Precious Mountain Vineyards, Sonoma Coast, Pinot Noir
2009 Domaine Carneros by Tattinger, Brut
2010 Sbragia Family Vineyards, Gamble Ranch Vineyards, Dry Creek Valley, Chardonnay
2010 Longoria, Tempranillo
2012 Ancien, Pinot Gris
???? Wolf Vineyards, Edna Valley, Chardonnay
???? Coelho, Willamette Valley, Pinot Noir
2012 Tablas Creek, Picpoul Blue

2007 Badge, Sta Rita Hills, Pinot Noir
2010 Koehler, Santa Ynez Valley, ?????
2004 Gloria Ferrer Cuvee Royal
2009 Buena Vista, Carneros, Pinot Noir
NV   River Road, Russian River, Clara's Cuvee Brut


No comments: