Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Day 2 Evening Dinner - WOPN at the Bacara Resort

Friday. February 28, 2014

I was so looking forward to this "high end" Seasmoke dinner tonight. Paid extra to attend. If you bought a separate ticket for this dinner it was $300. So I am expecting a lot. Dinner was held in the Wine Cellar Room of the Miro Restaurant. The cellars boasts 11,000 bottles. All glass front and impressive. They let a few of us into the cellar to look around.

Two tables of 22 were set up. This was advertised as limit of 38 and they had 44. Squeezed into the seats. Appetizers were passed around. I got 2 of the 3. A Tuna Tartare on Compressed Cucumber and a small bowl of White Cheddar Popcorn. They missed me on the Escargot tray. The popcorn was not that good. I get better white cheddar popcorn buying the Pirates Booty.

We started out with a their Sea Spray which is some kind of attempt for a "champagne" type beverage. I had this a few weeks ago at a dinner. It sucked then and it still sucks. Nothing to it. Non-descript.

Then a 2011 Chardonnay was poured. I skipped on this because I know how oaky it is. First course was a California Grouper Crudo with Easter Egg Radish, Tapioca Crackers and Truffle Soy. The grouper was sliced very thin but still had connective tissue so it was difficult to cut. Also had no flavor, so I have no idea what the soaked it in. It tasted like it was just sliced and set on the plate and you were supposed to use the Truffle Soy to marinate it in. Cracker was good.

Second course was Tuscan Kale and Golden Raisin Tortellini, Compressed Granny Smith Apple. Celeriac Cream, Shaved Percorino and Parsley Oil. This had great flavor, the downside was the pasta for the Tortellini was tough. Tasted like it had been over worked when they rolled it.

2011Ten and 2006 Ten were poured. They 2011 was too young. the 2006 was a bad year in the Sta. Rita Hills and it showed in the wine.

Third course was Braised Prime Short Ribs of Beef "Coq au Vin" with Chanterelle Mushrooms, Thumbelina Carrots, Onion Soubise, Hobbs Bacon, Natural jus. Wherethe "Coq au Vin" came in I have a clue. nothing coq au vi n about it. The short rib was good but I would question the "prime"  I had to use a knife to cut it because of the fatty layer that connected the meat. Sauce was good. mushrooms were button not chanterelle. Carrots were raw etc.

A pair of 2006 Ten and 2006 Southing (from a magnum ) were poured.

Fourth course was a cheese plate. Just like lunch this was the best part of the meal. 18 Months Comte Cheese, Raw Cow Milk Marcel Petite, Pontarlier, France and a Fourme d'Ambert Cheese. Cow Milk, Jean d'Alos, Auvergne, France. Drunken Orange Prune Marmalade and Rye Toasts.

Then the poured  a 2011 Seasmoke Grappa of Pinot Noir. I like Grappa so I had no problem with it but some people do and you tell by their faces when they tasted in. But why did they pour this when dessert was served ???  We were served a Tainori Chocolate Bavarois, Expresso Cake, Burnt Sugar Nougat Espuma, and Fluer de Sel. Very good.

So here I an expecting a really fabulous dinner and hopefully library wines at the high price this was costing . I got mediocre food, new wines, a bad year in wine. Service was fabulous but that does not make up for the fact they we were ripped off. I was not the only one upset. It became the talk the next day between people who attended. This dinner should not have been more than $125 at the most. And as I heard the "International" dinner which was included in the ticket price was basically the same and people were not happy with that dinner.

With wine somns, cellar masters etc., what happened ???? Very poor wine and food pairing. So where does the blame lay. The restaurant, the winery that was pouring ???? I can do a much better job than they did and I have. Frankly I am very disappointed, ticked off and feel this was a big scam.




No comments: