Monday, March 24, 2014

Dim Sum on a Monday

Monday, March 24, 2014

I took this Monday off as a furlough day. Trying to ease my way into retirement, One Monday a month off until June then 2 Mondays off.

Six of us gathered today at the Seafood Palace. Terry was recovered enough from his hip surgery to attend. Nice to see him up and  around again. He expects about six months of rehab and recovery.

Started out with a Sweet Sour soup. Its always good. Then a new standby dish. The shrimp rolled in seaweed and fried. Also had the baked BBQ beef buns. A plate of Chinese Broccoli for vegetables.

Steamed ribs showed up along with a ground pork, mushrooms rolled in rice and then steamed in a lotus leaf.

A dish we have had several times was ordered, Shrimp in a soft noodle like wrapper. Good flavor but very hard to eat because it is so slippery, but I persevered and managed the chopstick routine.  A plate of Beef with snowpeas, carrots and chestnuts was put in front of us. It disappeared fast. 

A new dish - Salt and Pepper Pork Spare Ribs. I really liked this dish and hope we have it often. Finished with a Beef and bok choy with carrots over soft fat noodles. Love those noodles.

A mini egg tart was presented and we all demolished ours. All this food with tax and tip came to $9 per person. You cannot go to a fast food place anymore for that amount.

Wines were really good. I brought a 2002 and 2004 McKeon-Phillips BPR Cabernet Sauvignon. I was concerned about their age but they both were showing well. I think that the 2002 is just past its peak so I am glad I opened it. Need to clear out some of my older California wines.

2006 McKeon-Phillips Leonardo
2007 Artesa, Napa, Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Tyler, Clos Pepe Vineyard, Pinot Noir
2007 Reverie Malbec, Primiere Napa Valley, Lot 048 Reserve, Diamond Mountain. This is a special wine that is made by several winemakers in Napa Valley and used for auctions only.

It will be nice when I have a few more Mondays off work so I can do Dim Sum during the week more often. Less crowded and cheaper.

No comments: