Sunday, November 24, 2013

Vacation Time

Week of November 1 to 7 - headed up to Avila Beach with a stop at the Huber Vineyards along the way.  On Saturday the San Luis Obispo Vintners Association hosted the wine fest at the golf course next to the San Luis Bay Inn which I was staying. Tasted  a lot of new releases and had some really good food. Talked with Mike Sinor who has his own label Sinor-LaValle and is the wine maker at Ancient Peaks. Had planned of going by the facility on Sunday to pick up wines but is was going to be locked down because they are still picking grapes.

 Sunday headed over to Paso Robles (the only day I went) and went out to the Pleasant Valley area.

First stop was Graveyard Winery. I had heard nice things about this place. The staff was very friendly, the view outstanding. The wines are good but not great. But a good price point for what they are. The staff recommended two other places to stop. So I headed down the road to J & J. A group of their wine club members were there and they were a really fun group. The wines were ok but not ones I would buy.

Next stop was LaVigne. Best wines of the day. Did purchase a few bottles here.

Spent the week at a very relaxing pace. Did not overdo any tasting or eating. Tuesday I spent the day in Pismo Beach. Went to the Monarch Butterfly sanctuary for a few hours. Then stopped at Taste of The Valley in Pismo to do some tasting. Met a couple from The San Diego area. He used to go to Lions Drag Strip in Long Beach when I was racing. We had a lot to talk about. He remembered the pontoon bridge in Long Beach along with Airplane Hill. People don't believe me when I tell them about the bridge

On Wednesday went into Los Olivos and picked up at Stolpman, hit the Christmas store in Solvang and went over to Lompoc to pickup at Loring,

Headed back home n Thursday to a big problem in my kitchen remodel. One cabinet came in the wrong size and has to be reordered. This delays everything by two weeks. I will be lucky to have my kitchen in some stage of working order by Thanksgiving. Lesson to be learned. Micro manage everything yourself.

No comments: