Sunday, November 24, 2013

Champange Dinner at Delius

Friday, November 22, 2013

This is an annual event with Delius, They announce it as a  "Champagne" dinner but in reality it is mostly and sometimes all sparkling wines. But it is always interesting and the wines are always good. It is never a sold out dinner. I think most people cannot understand how a sparkling wine can go with food dishes. They should get out of their narrow boxes once in awhile. 

Kevin Butler from the Henry Wine Group was our rep. Sat with him and his wife, Melanie again.  I got there a few minutes early and Matt, the sommelier gave me a glass of sparkling while I waited.

First Course:  Winter Squash Ravioli, Butter Poached Lobster, Fresh Peas and Pea Tendrils. Wine was a Vinum Sparkling Chenin Blanc, California. I thought this was the best wine of the day. Just released and not in the stores yet. Dry but a lot of flavor going on . The Ravioli was tender and the flavor excellent.

Second Course: Fig & Pomegranate Watercress Salad, Stilton Cheese, Pistachio-Honey Vinaigrette. Best pairing of the meal with a Malvira "Birbet:, from Italy. I was really surprised at the pairing.

Third Course: Roasted Octopus, Sunchoke, Yellow Wax Bean Potato Salad, Red Current Mustard Aioli. Octopus was very tender but the mustard aioli was to die for. Wine was a 2010 Mont-Ferrant Reserved Brut Cava, Spain. My least liked wine. Good but just not for me.

Fourth Course: Roasted Squab, Liver and Persimmon Stuffing, Swiss Chard & Cipollini Onion. I was getting stuffed by now so I did not finish my plate. The liver & persimmon stuffing was quite interesting and it and the squab paired exceptionally well with the 2009 Llopart Rose Brut Cava, Spain. First sparkling I have had made from Mouvedre grape. I did like this wine.

Dessert was a Raspberry Mousse Cake. So good, very delicate and light. Good ending for this rich meal

No comments: