Sunday, June 5, 2011

Italian Wine 101 & New Grape Varietals

Friday, June 3, 2011

Attended a class of Italian Wine 101 at Wine County in Signal Hill. http://www.thewinecountry.com/, It had been quite some time since I have done of these class/tasting events. Frankly I got to the point that I felt the people "instructing" left a lot to be desired.  When the owner Randy does an event I seem to learn a lot. The others are a crap shoot to what I will walk away with. The motivation for this class was it listed grape varietals that I had not tasted yet. Ulterior motive but one I can live with.

We tasted a variety of wines from sparkling, white and red from (11)  different regions of Italy. Some were good wines the others OK. But the price point was attractive.

What did I learn from this class that I did not already know ???  That Valpolicella means "Valley of Many Cellars" and Regioto is a style of wine.  There was a small amount of information about what foods went with certain wines and where the regions in Italy are and why certain wines come from that particular region. They had a detailed wine region map of Italy and the areas were pointed out. I happened to have the same map (but in a fold out form) at home. In hindsight I should have brought it with me so I could see the detail more clearly.

I will say that this class was more informative that the last one I took with this particular person but I still felt it was not as adequate as it should. I realize not everyone is a natural teacher but if you are selling a product that you are supposedly knowledgeable about,  then step up your game.

The best thing about this class was that I picked up several new grape varietals and now I am at 277 varietals tasted. Pushing for that 300 mark.  The "winecentury.com" club has 1032 members. Out of that number 30 have reached the 200 mark, (including me)  7 the 300 mark and 2 the 400 mark.

No comments: