Sunday, June 13, 2010

Drive to Sta Rita Hills

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Today I took off early to head the coast to Lompoc. Sea Smoke Cellars was having their pick up party today and I opted to pick up instead of having the wine shipped. I left early enough to drive up through Malibu and take the scenic coastal route. It only added 15 minutes to my drive time and was well worth arriving in a good mood instead of tense from driving through the valley and the sharp down grade going into Camarillo. Also getting 41 miles to the gallon was a big plus.

Sea Smoke has moved into a very large facility near the Lompoc airport. I took a quick look and decided it looked just like a lot of other barrel room facilities so I did not think I needed to hang around. Loaded up my wine and Stan's wine and after that was sure glad I did not invite anyone to drive with me.

Made a quick stop at Huber Cellars in the Sta Rita Hills for a pick up. Tasted Norm and Traudl's newest releases. Fed a treat to Heidi, bought some Dornfelder jelly that Traudl makes with the proceeds going to the Buellton Humane Society and was off down the road to Santa Ynez.

Stopped in at Stolpman in Santa Ynez. Peter had my order ready but I needed to taste a new syrah they have called "originals". Wine was made from these vines that were the original plantings at Stolpman's Vineyard on Ballard Canyon Road. This new syrah has big fruit and is drinking quite well for only being in the bottle for 2 months. Give a few more months of aging and it will taste really nice. I do not think that this wines is a lay down wine like the Hilltop Syrah but for drinking within the next year or so its perfect.

Bought another case of wine beside what I ordered and managed to find room for it in the car. I could not have taken another bottle with me. The car was loaded, truck, backseat and front area . Just enough room for me to sit and drive.

Decided to take the coast route back as I thought maybe Malibu would be all right to drive through since the weather was overcast and maybe the beach crowd was light. Turned out to be a good decision.

Had to make a stop at Stan's in Santa Monica to drop off his Sea Smoke wines. Decided to stay and go out to dinner with Stan and Karen and a few others. That is on the next blog.

No comments: