Sunday, June 20, 2010

Croatian Wine Dinner at Michaels

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Michaels on Naples was hosting a Croatian wine dinner this evening which turned out to be the 7th game of the NBA. They had reservations for 91 people and unfortunately for the restaurant many people did not show up and did not have the courtesy to call and cancel. Stetson Robbins of Blue Danube Wine was there pouring these Croatian wines.

I did not really care for most of the pairings. There weren't terribly bad but went real good either.

First course was a grilled calamari, white balsamic and leek ragu crostini. Interesting flavor bit with crostini bread was a little soft and I'm not sure where the calamari was. It was OK, but I would not go out of my why to order it. This was paired with a 2008 sipun, Zlahtine, Island of Krk. Very stony, tannic white.

Next was a lobster salad with grilled apricot and trevison salad. Why too much Radicchio for me. Lobster was good but it seemed lost. Served with a 2008 Coronica, Malvasia Istria.

Third course was a monkfsh, scallop, blue prawn brodetto with baked polenta. The bordetto sauce was good. The monkfish was also. But the baked polenta had too much of a crust for me. Paired with a 2007 Dingac Winery "Plavac", Plavac Mali, Peljesac Peninsula, Dalmatian Coast. Very light red wine which was overwhelmed by the food.

A Cevapcici Sausage (pork, lamb & beef) was served with braised red cabbage and a slow cooked pork belly with pickled cabbage. This sausage had good flavor but it was dry to me. The cabbage was good. The pork belly had a crispy crust which was hard to cut through. The favor was bland and personally I did not find it appealing. I will put Delius pork belly up against Michaels any day. This was served with a 2007 Bibach "Riserva", Bibich, Lasin, Plavina, Skradain, North Dalmatia. Another light red, a little bigger than the first.

Dessert was a cheese plate. 3 cheeses I had not had before with looked and tasted like a fig jam I thought that this was the best dish of the evening. They served it with a 2005 Dingac Winery "Postup", Plavac Mali, Peljesac Peninsula, Dalmatian Coast.

The food was OK, but I expected better because of what I had heard of the restaurant. The best thing of the night was the bread which was served with olive oil and balsamic. I would go back and try Michaels on Naples again and see what the do with Italian food which is their specialty. I will say that the service was impeccable.

Randy Kemmner from the Wine Country and his wife Dale were seated at the table next to us and he indicated he really liked this restaurant so I would give it a second chance but I am in no rush

No comments: