Saturday, May 16, 2009

Philo Ridge Wine Dinner at Utopia

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Philo Ridge is a winery that I was not familiar with. Had heard the name but never tasted the wines. Fred Buonanno the owner and winemaker was in attendance. He was very interesting to talk with and had a great sense of humor. The "farm" is fully sustainable. It is 5 miles from the nearest electric grid so everything is solar.

The winery is in the Anderson Valley area of Mendocino County which is known for other "quality" products other than wine. I have heard that Humbolt County produces the best.

First course was "Grilled Pork Tenderloin Dijon Brandy Sauce". This was served with a 2007 Philo Ridge Chardonnay. A nice clean, crisp wine.

Second course - "Roasted Duck Breast in Shallot Balsamic Cream Reduction Sauce". Sauce was excellent. Duck was slightly overcooked for me. I prefer to see "pink" in my meats. This was served with a 2005 Philo Ridge Vino di Mendocino. A blend of Syrah, Zinfanfel, Petit Syrah and Carignane.

Third course was "Grilled Lamb Chop with Fresh Thyme Port Reduction Sauce". Again the sauce was excellent but to me the lamb was overcooked. The wine was a 2003 Philo Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon.

Dessert was homemade Tiramisu served with a Laudate Domium White Wine Vintage 2005/2006. They could have left the dessert wine off the menu. I just do not care to have sweet with sweet. To me its overkill. Serve your sweet wines with a cheese course.

All the wines tonight were good. Priced very well. We were also served tastes of the 2007 Gewuztraminer, 2007 Pinot Gris and the 2005 Pinot Noir.

I did purchase a couple bottles of the Chardonnay and the Gewuztraminer to have a few summer wines around. My cellar is 98% red so its nice to have some white available.

Utopia puts on nice dinners for the money. Cost is always $50 and they are generous with their pours. Their sauces are always excellent but I feel for my personal taste they overcook the lamb & duck. Some people like their meat with no pink or red but I am the opposite. I like my meat "just this side of dead".

No comments: