Sunday, March 29, 2009

A "Man's" Gourmet Dinner

Saturday, March 21, 2009

I was invited to participate in a dinner at a private residence. This was to showcase a 1964 Chateau Haut-Bages Monpelou Bordeax.

We were all asked to pick an entree from a menu from a local restaurant. Platters of cheese and crackers were served and various appetizers were passed

We started out with a non-vintage G.H. Mumm Cordon Rouge Brut Champagne and then one of the guests brought out a 1999 Chassagne Montrachet Morgeot, 1st Cru.

The wine was excellent. We all got about a 2 ounce pour as there were 11 of us present tonight.

Next the jerobom of the 1964 Bordeax was poured. We were all very surprised at the color and taste of this very old wine. There was no copper or age look to the color and the taste was surprisingly fresh. It stayed that way for well over an hour before it started to fall off. It was quite a treat.

I had selected the grilled porkchops for my entree. I was served 2 huge chops with mushroom risotto and vegetables,. I was so full from the appetizers that I ate 1/3 of one chop a few bites of risotto and took everything else home. I did pick the pork over the beef because I felt that the wine being served was so old that it might not be as big and bold as it was at a much younger age. I feel my decision was the right one for me.

We were then served 2 desserts with a 2002 Quady Essencia Orange Muscat. I drank my wine first then ate the desserts. I do not like sweet on sweet. I prefer my dessert wines served with a cheese plate.

The reason I have called this a "Man's" Gourmet dinner was that the men involved did no cooking. All the appetizers , cheese, crackers and dessert came from Trader Joe's. A little heating up of a few items and slicing some cheese was the preparation . They did arrange everything quite nicely on the plates. The entrees were from the Macaroni Grill and they were all good. Only a 5 minute drive to pick them up. I may start thinking of this concept next time I entertain.

No comments: