Saturday, May 31, 2008

Monthly Gathering of The Winos

Sunday, May 25, 2008


The theme for this months wine gathering was "Wines of Spain & Portugal". It had rained this morning so the weather was on the cool side and the event was held outside But we had our wines "to keep us warm". Out of 15 wines brought, 4 were from Portugal. I found that interesting. Maybe because Spanish wines are more available and I do know some people will not put out the extra $ to get a quality wine from Portugal. There were a couple of older wines from Spain, a 1991 & 1994. Older wines are always interesting. One of there was on the "over" side but the other was drinking quite well

We had one sparkling and one Port. There was a 2005 Alto Moncayo, Granacha from Spain that was quite good and I felt that the 2004 Qinta Vale d. Maria, Duoro from Portugal which I brought, was very good also. None were bad, some just better than others. I wasn't overly fond of the whites. None of them knocked my socks off, but I am a "red" wine drinker.

I added several new grape varietals to my quest. I haven't added my list lately but I think I am up to 160 varietals of grapes tasted. I'm pushing for the 200 mark.

So another "wino" gathering bites the dust. Next up in June will be Red & White Bordeaux's.

No comments: