Sunday, July 29, 2007

Update on Century Club

I have received my certificate from "The Wine Century Club". It was mailed from England, gold seal and all.

There as a letter enclosed with the certificate and I will quote a potion of it.

"Congratulations on becoming a member of the Wine Century Club. As of today we have 255 members from all over the world" (its hard to believe that little ol me is part of a very elite group of winos).

"Most remarkable is the rarity of your proficient imbibing: just 3.3% of those that downloaded the application have become members" (at least I'm recognized as a proficient imbibler)

So I encourage all of you who read this to go to http://www.winecentury.com/ and download the list and start the hunt. Two years ago when I started, I had 63 varietals listed and when I sent in the list last month, I had 111 varietals tasted and I added the 112th a few days later. I have tasted hundreds and hundreds of wines in the past 2 years and made it a mission to get this accomplished. I have gone out of my way seeking odd varietals and asking loads of questions of the wine reps at the tastings and dinners I have attended. Some of them have given me great leads but it does take time and perseverance.

If you cheat on the application just so you can have bragging rights you really are cheating no one but you. And you will be the loser in the long run. Unfortunately I do know a couple of people that would do this. How sad someone has to cheat to build up their ego.

No comments: