Sunday, March 20, 2016

Sinor-La Valle and Ancient Peaks Wine Dinner

Saturday. March 19, 2016

Normally "Wine Getaways" does their dinners mid week and usually on the west side of town which is not freeway friendly for me. When I saw the flyer on this dinner on a Saturday and with a winery I buy from I jumped at it. Had not seen Peter and  Bart since the last dinner at Restaurant Christines in Torrance about 18 months ago.

It was a 40 miles trek down the freeway for me. Took me about 70 minutes as traffic was heavy but only 30 minutes to get home. Dinner was held at the Barbianca Restarunt at the Hotel MDR in Marina Del Rey. This was their first wine dinner. Restaurant was typical hotel style.  Next to the open bar and noisy. Acoustics were bad. Had delightful dining companions along with being seated next to Peter Kerr. Most people attending the dinner are followers of Wine Getaways. Their dinners are always $89 inclusive which makes them a bargain. And always lot's  of prizes to be given away. I got a Sinor-La Valle wine opener to add to my collection of openers,  Have not paid for one yet.

Talked with Mike Sinor for quite awhile. He was very surprised to see me. Mike  is the co-owner and wine director  at Ancient Peaks . www.ancientpeaks.com and he and his wife own Sinor-La Valle,  www.sinorlavalle,com which recently bought the old Bassi Vineyard in Avila Beach. I started buying his wines years ago (at least 13 years ago)  after reading an article in Wine Spectator about up and coming winemakers. They had listed about 10 new winemakers and I got on the email list for a few of them and started buying their wines. I dropped a few but kept Sinor-LaValle and Kosta-Browne. Not bad choices I would say. 

We started out with a glass (several) of  2014 Ancient Peaks Sauvignon Blanc. They served a Tuna Tartare on toast and a Artichoke Bruschetta with Charred Asparagus for appetizers. Wine did not pair well with the raw fish. Actually really clashed. The wine itself was good for a Sau Blanc. Not to mineraly  and light citrus.

First course of the evening was a Arugula and Pan Seared Spinach Gnocchi Salad with Baby Eggplant, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Green Olive Compote. Good flavors and paired well with the 2013 Sinor-La Valle Chardonnay. Wine has a hint of oak which was cut by by the salad,

Three-Pepper Crusted Atlantic Salmon with Wild Mushroom Ratatouille and Lime Sage Butter Sauce was served next. Very good dish and the pairing with the 2012 Sinor-La Valle Talley Rincon Pinot Noir was perfect. 2012 was the last year for Mike to buy grapes from Talley. Glad I have a stash of various years of this wine.

Main course was a Oso Bucco with Chive Mashed Potatoes, Braised Fennel, Red Chard, Buttered Baby Vegetables and Natural Jus.  Good flavors. Wine served was a 2012 Ancient Peaks. Margarita Vineyards, Zinfandel. Wine was fruity but not jammy. Good flavors and a perfect match for the food.

Dessert was a Wine Poached Pear Panna Cotta with Wild Berry Sauce. OK, not great and it was served in a plastic cup which was a turnoff for me.

A good dinner. Will have to check out the next Wine Getaway dinner at Sausal. Need to check how freeway friendly it is. It is on a weeknight so I would go directly from work but I always like to see how to get home easily. I know Ray and Barbra are doing this dinner but they can walk to the restaurant from their house. 

No comments: