Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Lunch at Irrawaddy, Taste of Burma Restaurant

 Friday, January 6, 2023

6 of us today for lunch. This is a new restaurant for me. Irrawaddy in Stanton. Have never tasted Burmese food before. Looking online is seems very similar to Indian but without the fire. Lot of coconut milk and tea leaves used along with loads of spices but not hot like Indian food.  Restaurant is very clean and well appointed.  So many "asian" restaurants are on the tacky side. Service was very good.

This will be a place where the boys and I go for a lunch soon. Corkage is $12. There was no wine at this  lunch but a few people had the Myanmar beer. 

All the dishes we had we shared. that way we got to taste numerous items.

Started out with Tea Leaf Salad. Very good, interesting flavors. They sell the mix in a jar for takeout. You just add your own greens etc.

Then onto Paratha with curry sauce. A pancake style fried bread, slightly sweet and a non spicy sauce. I really liked this dish. This would be a definite reorder for me.

Sauteed green beans with sweet onion, carrots and a light sauce came next. Beans are al dente and bright green. Good job in cooking and presentation. 

Next is the one dish I did not care for. Mint Leaf Chicken. Did not like the texture nor the flavor. Whatever spice they used was over whelming to me. 

The Chicken Masala was more to my liking. A bit different from what I am used to in Indian cooking. Nice blend of flavors but would have preferred to have boneless chicken. Wasn't keen about spitting small bones out of my mouth. 

The Sour Leaf Shrimp was interesting. Good flavors in the sauce. But not sure if I would order this again.  Not sure why but it just did not knock my socks off. 

Dessert was Fried Banana with Green Tea Ice Cream. Ice cream was exceptionally good.  Over the years I have OD'd on bananas and just do not like them anymore. The fried ones did look good as they seemed to be caramelized. 

A large menu and so many more items to try.

No comments: