Sunday, June 13, 2021

Neyers Wine Dinner at Arte Cafe

 Friday, June 11, 2021

Can't say that I have had Neyers wines before, maybe or maybe not. I cannot remember. There are so many wineries in CA you just cannot keep track of all of them.  The wine reps name was Jennifer. Personable person. But half way through dinner she disappeared not to be seen again.

We started off with a Tomato Bouillabaisse with clams, mussels, shrimp and scallops along with a couple of pieces of garlic toast. Light and very flavorful  Paired with a 2019 Neyers , Sonoma Cty unoaked Chardonnay. Stainless Steel fermented. Decent wine. I am not that big of CA chardonnay fan. But it did pair well with the Bouillabaisse. 

Second course is a Hazelnut  Pesto crusted Chilean Seabass with a salad of frisee greens and a tarragon Dijon vinaigrette.  Excellent flavors. Seabass cooked perfectly. Wine is a 2018 Neyers, Carneros Chardonnay. Some oak but not undrinkable for me with food. Without food I would not touch it. 

Third course served is a Quail braised with red wine, thyme and mushrooms over a bed of French lentils. Great flavors even for lentils. They are not high on my list. I do not cook them but I will eat them if served.  The wine selected to be paired with this dish is a 2018 Neyers, CA, Sage Canyon, Rhone Red, blend of Carignane, Syrah and Mouvedre.  Wine was ok on its own but did not blend well with the food. One of my dining companions had some chardonnay left and said it was a far better pairing than the red wine. 

Next was Flank steak with pepper cream sauce and thick frites and broccoli. Good flavors. Meat was perfect. Paired with a 2017 Neyers, Napa Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon. Wine was good. All the wines were good but nothing that would make me get up and dance much less buy. 

Dessert is a cooked custard with whole cherries and bourbon whipped cream. Exceptional flavors.  A Manhattan  cocktail of Amador double barrel whiskey and Trincheri Rosso Vermouth. Tasty and he did go well with the dessert which surprised me.

Another good dinner put away at Arte Cafe. Best bargain in town. Good food and decent prices.

No comments: