Sunday, June 13, 2021

Margie's Monthly Dinner at Mahe

 Saturday, June 12, 2021


14 of us tonight at Mahe in Seal Beach, This building has been a restaurant ever since I was a small child. It used to be the Glider Inn and had a glider plane on top of the roof. I was always fascinated on how that plane landed on the roof of the building and why they didn't take it down. I know I was less than 10 years old when we first drove by it. 

Mahe is a seafood restaurant but they are known for their sushi.  They have a sushi bar inside if you are not interested in sitting at a table. 

I ordered a bowl of clam chowder. It was OK but I have had so much better elsewhere. It was a disappointment.

I do not eat large portions so I ordered the Queen Roll Sushi,  Cajun Shrimp, Shrimp Tempura, Albacore inside soy paper topped with avocado and green onions.  Also ordered the Asparagus Tempura. Excellent flavors on both dishes. 

14 people and 19 bottles of wine. There is no way I can taste 19 different wines. After I saw the list of wines brought I was disappointed that I did not get to taste some of them.  Margie had everyone pass their bottles of wines down the table but for some reason 80% of them ended up mid table and sat there. I always ask to sit on an end because it is so much easier for me to maneuver.  But I am cutting myself short on the wines making it down to the end. Such is life. Somehow I will survive. I am not a big fan of Chardonnays and Sauvignon Blancs  so I would not seek those out anyway. 

2014 Trump, Monticello, Charlottesville, VA, Sparking Rose - surprisingly  a decent wine

2019 Soldier Creek, Fort Dodge, Iowa, LaCrescent - a white grape and a new one for me , tart on the front palate and then it fell off dramatically. 

2018 Cartograph, RRV,  CA, Pinot Noir - very light, bright cherry

202? Ferrari-Carano, Fume Blanc - did not taste

2019 Vincent Vineyards, Los Olivos. V Cuvee - did not taste

2019 Beetlejuice,  (homemade) Cabernet Sauvignon - did not taste 

 2016 Lusso Della Terra, Paso Robles, Petite Verdot - did not taste

2019 Duckhorn, Sauvignon Blanc - did not taste

2013 Ken Brown. "A" Cuvee, Syrah -did not taste

2018 Vicente Farina, "Animus", Vinho Verde - did not taste

2017 Story of Soil,  Mirabella Vineyards, Sauvignon Blanc - did not taste

NV   Indio Eyes, CA,  White Sparkling - way too sweet for my palate

2016 Dancin, Brise, OR, Pinot Noir - did not taste

2017 Foley, Sta Rita Hills, Barrel Select, Chardonnay - did not taste 

2018 Carol Shelton, Coquille Blanc -A white Rhone blend which was surprisingly good

2018 Ancient Peaks, Santa Margarita Road, Paso Robles, Cabernet Sauvignon - a good wine, well made

2017 Foley Johnson,. Napa Valley, Chardonnay - did not taste

2017 Goosecross, Napa Valley, Pinot Noir - did not taste

2017 Longoria, Santa Ynez Valley, Clover Creek Vineyard, Albarino - I brought this wine and it did not disappoint








No comments: