Sunday, April 11, 2021

Road Trip To Temecula

 Saturday, April 3, 2021


3 of us on this trip. Hired a car and driver to take us to Temecula for wine tasting. The driver came with a SUV which had a very high running board. Made it very difficult for me to get in because of my bout with Sciatica. May be a long trip.

We arrived in Temecula about 10:30 am . First tasting was at 11:00. I had not been here in over 15 years. Huge buildings housing the wineries. Looked more like sets for Hollywood. Not sure if I like it. If fact I really disliked it. 

First stop was Doffo winery. Big motorcycle collection. If you are a bike nut this would be right up you alley.  We had a flight of 4 wines. Decent wines but not putting out any money for them.

We were scheduled for lunch and tasting at Avensole.  Went inside for lunch first. It took 2-1/2 hour's so we had to forget the tasting. There was wine at the table for lunch. Tasted decent. Food was very good. We started out with an appetizer of oven roasted Brie cheese with a fruit compote. It was very good, Then a pizza style flatbread which also was very good. At this point I am full and I still have an Ahi burger coming. Burger got packed to go. Ate it the next day and it also was very good. If I would come to Temecula again I would probably eat here. 

We had a 3:00 appointment at Wiens for a Cellar Room tastings. This was held outdoors in a private patio setting. Best wines of the day but so over priced. $115 for a Cabernet Sauvignon from Temecula. I don't think so. Wine was good but should have been in the $45 range. 

On the way out we stopped at Akash. Their tasting stopped at 5:00 but we got a bottle and sat outside. They had a DJ playing music. I was not overly impressed with the wine.

Temecula is not for serious wine drinkers. It is playing to the party buses, birthday girls, bachelor and bachelorette parties etc., Loaded with wannabe's.  I am sure there are exceptions to the wineries. and probably a few really good ones, Wiens being one of them. But on the whole it is party time. Probably be another few years before I am back. 


No comments: