Sunday, March 22, 2020

Prime Cut Cafe

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Margie selected Prime Cut Café in Orange for her monthly wine dinner. We have been here several times before. www,primecutcafe.com.   We had use of a small private dining area which made it nice for our group of 14.

Prime Cut specializes in Prime Rib and beef cuts but offers numerous other meats and fish. Good selections.

I had the petite cut of prime rib along with mushroom risotto.  Even with a small cut I took half of it home.

There were 14 people in attendance and 19 wines on the table. Most I did not get to taste and a lot of them I never saw the bottle. 

I brought a 2015 Stephen Ross, Jeperson Ranch, Albarino.  Well balanced,  not too acidic and a 2012 Grassini Family, Red Blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petite Verdot. I liked this wine but what I took home the leftover it  did not fare well. Two days later it was not tasting good at all.  Should have had better lasting qualities. Could be that particular bottle. I have another I will try in the future and compare my notes.

2018 Buscador, Chenin Blanc. Nice wine, clean.

2016 Louis Martini, Napa, Cabernet Sauvignon - not impressed

2018 Fallbrook, 33* North Sauvignon Blanc - did not taste

212 Hawkes Winery, Pyramid Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon - Ok wine

2018 Prager, Aria. White Port - cloying sweet

2016 Schramsberg, Brut Rose - always a winner

2017 Williams Selyem, Chardonnay - did not taste

Year not known - Patricia Green Cellars, Ribbon Ridge, Pinot Noir - did not taste

2011 Clos Pepe VS,  Pinot Noir - one of the best wines tonight

NV Lucien Albrecht, Cremant D'Alsace. Brut Rose - always a winner also

2018 Duckhorn Vineyard, Napa, Sauvignon Blanc - did not taste

2014 RN Estate, Fiddlestix Vineyard, Pinot Noir - decent wine but not overly impressed

2012 Groth.  Oakville, Cabernet Sauvignon -   I expected more from this wine - a bit disappointed

2005 Miramonte Estate, Syrah - Did not taste

2015 Denner, Mother of Exiles - did not taste

2007 Turley,  Old Vines, Zinfandel - did not taste

2015 Hopland Ranches, Mendocino, Cabernet Sauvignon -  not for me

No comments: