Saturday, March 7, 2020

Dinner with Terry's Daughters

Saturday, February 29, 2020

This is not one of my normal postings but it was important in my life.

It has been 3-1/2 years since my friend Terry passed away. I had not seen his daughters in probably 3 years due to everyone's personal life challenges.  We all got together at CJ's house for a vey informal dinner . Elizabeth, who has been cancer free for a couple of years now, Christina and her partner Will and their son Nico who will be six in April. Our friend Henry was there also.  We all used to get together frequently for Dim Sum and Chinese dinners. Great to be able to get together again.

CJ made stuffed shells. I brought meatballs and Henry a great vegetable dish   CJ set out 3 wines. 2007 Williams Selyem, Bacigalupi Vineyards, Zinfandel. 2011 Williams Selyem RRV, Pinot Noir and a 2009 McKeon Phillips,  BPR, Cabernet Sauvignon. The Cab was in honor or Terry and Cora who turned all of us onto McKeon Phillips wines.   My favorite of the evening was the Zinfandel. All were good wines.

Nico the 6 year old took a bit of time to warm up to us. After he got comfortable he honed in on me. Maybe because I am old and children seem to gravitate to older people.  We are willing to sit and listen to them talk away about everything which their parents will tell them to find something to do.
Nico asked if I was his grandmother. I told him no that I was not but I could be his pretend grandmother.  He seemed to be OK with that.  His grandmother Cora passed away before Nico was born and Terry passed away when Nico was about 3.So the child has no memories of grandparents. Which is so sad because Terry and Cora would have been fabulous grandparents.

We all had a great time talking about the past and vowed to get together for lunch soon.

No comments: