Thursday, July 27, 2017

Dinner at 555 East

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A few of us decided weeks ago to get together for some good red meat and bring some really good wines we had been wanting to share with others.  Seven of us tonight at 555 East Steakhouse.  www.555east.com.    We met at 6:00 PM except for Stan and Karen who were coming in from Santa Monica.  They left their place at 4:15 and arrived about 6:45.  That had to be a horrible drive in traffic.

I ordered raw oysters so I would have something delectable with the Champagnes. Kumumoto and Island Paradise were my choices.  Most of us ordered steak and Paul had the rack of lamb.  555 East fell short this time.  Karens's steak was cooked wrong, Paul's rack of lamb was cold. My Kansas City Strip had too much grizzle on one end. Margie's baked potato had to be sent back because of problems on the inside after it was cut.  This is unusual for 555 East.

But service was good and the wines were even better.

I brought a 2006 Sassicia (cab  and cab franc) which was so good.  I paid $100 for a few years back at a charity event. Looked up the pricing on it and now it averaged out at $268.  Which made is a little less than $12 an ounce. I found that really funny to think about how much that taste was costing me.  Glad I opened it while it is still vibrant and at the optimum taste level. These wines do go for long years of aging. But at my age I don't have time. Better to enjoy now. and best to enjoy with others who appreciate what they are drinking

All wines were showing well.

2005 BV, Georges  Latours, Private Reserve Cabernet brought by CJ.

1995 Chateau Monbousquet Saint-Emilion, (merlot) Grand Cru and a March Hebrart, Premier Cru, Brut brought by Greg.

2014 Lancaster, Samantha's Sauvignon Blanc, 2012 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast, Pinot Noir and a Pertois-Moriser, Balnc de Blanc brought by Paul and Margie.

1998 d'Arnenberg, The Dead Arm, Shiraz and a 1997 Jones Family Vineyards, Napa, Cabernet Sauvignon brought by Stan and Karen.

Hard to pick out a favorite.  All were really good. So good food (mostly), great wines and great friends made for a very enjoyable evening

No comments: