Monday, June 19, 2017

High Brow White Trash Dinner at The Playground

Wednesday, June 7, 2017.

This was a new themed dinner at the Playground. www.playgrounddtsa.com.     15 courses. I can usually get through half before I scream "no more". So I will need to really pace myself tonight

Since they were doing a second dinner that evening I could not take their worksheet menu home. I had Jason Quinn (owner and chef)  take a picture of it with my phone with the stipulation that I do not look at the menu. The idea with the Playground is that all dishes are a surprise. No menu is ever given out for any of their dinners. Sometimes you can figure something out by watching them cook the dish but until they put it in front of you and verbally tells you.  I had assumed that the menu would have the wines listed so I did not list the wines when Rhett poured them. But that did not happen so I cannot say what we drank beside a cocktail at the beginning, 5 wines during dinner and a stout beer at the end.

We start out with Deviled eggs made with lobster and caviar. Jason gave me the last of the caviar in the tin. I can eat caviar straight from the container.  Then a Foie Gras, PB & J on toasted brioche. Strange  combination but it strangely worked well together.  Jason also gave me the rest of the Foie Gras.  This was my night.

Meatloaf sandwich was the 3rd item.  Grade 5 Wagu beef with a light brioche bun and siracha ketsup and potato chips.   Interesting but I was not enamored with it.

Peach cornbread with Ricotta - good and different.  A carrot terrine with English peas. Good flavor but again not enamored.

Cornflake encrusted striped bass fish sticks with Gribiche (tarter sauce).  This was good. Much better than those store bought fish sticks.  I could have eaten a lot of this if it hadn't been for 9 courses yet to go.

Mushroom Stroganoff with house made egg noodles.  Everything is always housemade. No bottled or packaged items at the Playground. That is what make these dinners so good.

In placed of fried bologna we had Dr.Pepper Han Steak with boiled peanuts.  They boiled the peanuts for 8 hours.. Peanuts are not a nut but a legume like beans and peas. Tasty but since I am not a fan of ham I had very little of is. Which in a way was good.

The taco salad looked wonderful but I am starting to expand. Outside skirt steak, Grade 5 Wagu again,  with romaine, avocado, black beans and tomatoes.  A couple of bites and that was it. Great flavors.

A plate of broccoli with gruyere cheese and crunchy buckwheat. This dish was very good. Too bad I could not eat more of it.

Last main dish was Beer Can Chichen with a side of Velvet Ranch Potatoes.  I think it was good. I am so full.

We were then served a shooter of "Nesquick" strawberry drink. Their version of the drink from the 60's.  Much different than I remember the drink tasting.

A Nilla Wafer (housemade) with bananas, pudding  and shaved chocolate.. Not a fan of bananas and I thought the wafers were too thick.  Had a hard time cutting into this dish.

Last dessert was a housemade "Ding Dong".  Dark chocolate flavor, dark chocolate icing. This was decadent. This was a favorite of the night. for me.  Only thing I missed was a glass of ice cold milk.

Normally they plate for 3 people to share. Fortunately I always have some big eaters to finish the dish but if there is enough left the Playground provides to go containers.

Interesting dinner. I would do another under this theme. The dishes are never repeated so it is always something new. Beef is always grade 5 Wagu, everything housemade. Vegetables and fruits from Chino Frams which the crew goes to in the am to get fresh for that nights dinner. Fish is always fresh from the fish market.  Quality of always high.  Some would think that $150 is steep but for what you get in quality, number of dishes, all wines, beer etc., and includes tax and gratuity I think it is a real bargain.  They do put on their website if you have allergies or are a picky eater this 2.0 room  is not for you.   But with the amount of food you get if you are picky just pass up what you are picky about. They do ask at the  beginning if anyone has any allergies to nuts, seafood etc., They do accommodate somewhat.  Those people would be better off during the regular dinner menu in the restaurant and not trying to eat at the 2.0 Room.






No comments: