Sunday, March 12, 2017

Vignamaggio Wine and Delius Restaurant

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Every few years Delius, www.deliusrestaurant.com.. hosts an Italian wine dinner with Mike Levine the distributor. This year they featured Vignamaggio wines. The Italian rep was present and for the life of me I cannot remember her name but she was very knowledgeable and with her accent brought a flair if Italy with her.

We started out with a Borgo  Magredo Prosecco. Not one of their wines because they only produce reds. It gets the palate woke up and a nice start to the evening. There were six of us at the table and a lively group it was.  I had already been to District Wine in downtown Long Beach for a tasting of Tercero wines before coming to dinner.

First course served was a Bacon Bundled Country Pate with Porcini Vinaigrette  dressed Frisee. We all know how I feel above Frisee. Leave it off my plate, The flavor of the pate was good but I felt  it was over cooked. The bacon wrapping was very crisp and to get that you have to really cook it longer than necessary. Wine paired was a 2014 Chianto Classico "Prenzano". Pleasant wine and went well with the pate.

Up next we were served a White Bean Gremolata Cassoulet with Andouille Sausage. To me this was the best dish of the evening. Good flavor. Paired with a 2013 Chianti Classico Riserva "Gherardino" which actually had 15% Merlot in it.

A 2007 Chianti Classico Riserva "Mona Lisa" was our next wine and it was paired with a Conchiglioni Pasta, Crimini Mushrooms, Wilted Arugula and Crispy Sweet Breads.  Excellent flavor and my second best dish of the night.

Mian course was a Roasted Peppercorn Braised Tri Tip with Oven Roasted Tomato, Castlevitrano Olive and Black Salisfy Risotto.. Risotto was good . For my taste the tri tip was a bit overcooked and a little dry.  2009 Super Tuscan Cabernet Franc was the wine served. .Light tannins and a little vegetative.

Dessert is a Bing Cherry Tiramisu. OK but.

I found the dinner for my tastes disappointing. To me this was a "rustic" style of cooking Too many misses and the wines were slightly too big for the food.  I am sure others liked it way better than I did. It is all about your personal taste.


No comments: