Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Trail Marker Dinner at The Playground 2.0 room

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Had not heard or Trail Marker before so we decided to give it a try. We knew the food was going to be good so why not. The owner, winemaker was Drew Huffine. He had been with Kosta Browne and Copain among others before. For the most part the wines were good but the Pinot Noir was something else. I have never tasted a Pinot like that. Would have never guessed it as a Pinot if I had not been told. Took a couple of sips and left it. All of us left the wine sit. Not good.

Normally I either write the name of the wines down but last dinner when Justin gave me the menu the wines were listed so I did not bother this time. Alas no wines listed. And I really can't remember . One was a good Rose, then a white and three reds. But anything else leaves my brain because I thought I did not have to write anything down. Only the beer that was served with the dessert. It was a Beachwood Robusta Ryhme. Dark and good.

We started out with a Foie Gras pate terrine with warm , toasted Apricot bread.  I could have had this and nothing else. They even brought me a second serving which they do not do. This was the first of 11 courses.

A dish with Humboldt Fog cheese, Masculine greens, brown butter baby beets and crushed hazelnut cookies was next. Hard not to overeat.

3rd dish  was a Tomme De Savoie and wild mushroom croque monsuier. Almost like a flatbread with this fabulous cheese and mushrooms.  Another winner.

White asparagus, citrus supreme, pickled shallot and baby brioche crouton. very interesting combination of flavors and they went well together.

Wagu steak tartare with frites and hollandaise sauce. A whole new way to eat french fries. Unbelievably good.

Haricot Verts Almandine.  Excellent flavor

Number 7 was a Haibut Cheeks Grenobloise. So sweet and tender

Celery Root and apple remoulade, dried cranberries, candided walnut crunch. Cool and refreshing and they gave me a box of this to take home.

Duck confit, pork belly beans, breadcrumbs, choucrute.  Excellent flavor, a bit salty. Too bad I am stuffed and could not enjoy more of this.

Last was 2 desserts,  A Proper Macaron - two macarons with a whipped cream mixture sandwiched together. Good flavor but I am not a fan of macaroons. Way too sweet for me. Also had a chocolate mousse which I devoured.

Another very good dinner at the Playground 21.0 Room. seats 18 people at a long bar. Easy to make conversation with people sitting next to year but everyone else is a shouting match.  Interaction with the cooks and chef is a real treat. They are all fun and personable

Time to get the calendar out and see what looks good for my next dinner there. 

I am always amazed at how good the food is on these special dinners. So innovative. Not for people who have dining or food  issues but for the rest of us gluttons it is divine.

No comments: