Monday, July 11, 2016

Mitsuyoshi

Saturday. July 9, 2016

Margies's monthly wine activity was held at Mitsuyoshi restaurant in Stanton, www.mitsuyoshi-restaurant.com, Japanese food and Sushi bar.  I did notice that lot of their clientele were Japanese and that is always a good sign.

11 of us tonight and we were seated in a small room. 2 tables, one with 5 people and one with 6 people. Table was crowded because of the wine glasses and the plates of food were large. Several of them came on trays which took more room.

Food was very good. Heard several compliments on the food. I had the Bento Box which contains a mix of numerous items. I like variety and this fit the bill. It was quite large so I did take some items home with me. I am so glad I did not order an appetizer.  The restaurant did set out bowls of picked cabbage and that was more than enough for me.

Restaurant also comped us a bowl of ice cream for dessert. Margie had her usual boxes of  See's candy that she passed around. I took one piece and took it home with me.

Wines were a mixed bag. I brought a 2009 Huber, Sta. Rita Hills, Barrel Select, Pinot Noir. It was well balanced,  nice lightly lush  mouth feel.. My personal opinion is it really over shadowed the two Sea Smoke's that were brought. I was not impressed with either one and they are twice the price of the Huber. And the vineyards are just over the hill from Sea Smoke

2012 Tablas Creek, Espirit Blanc - did not taste

2015 Patelin de Tablas, Rose - did not taste

2015 Hart, Temecula, Pinot Gris - I meant to taste this wine even though I am not a fan of Pinot Gris but never got around to it - I do like Joe Hart's wines

NV, Segura Vivdas, Spain, Cava Rose Brut - always a winner

Mio Sparkling Sake -  sparkling sake is always fun

2014 Lenz Moser, Austria, Niederistereich, Gruner Veltliner - a very good wine that went well with the food

2007  Sea Smoke, Sta. Rita Hills, Southing, Pinot Noir - not impressed and 2007 was a very good year in the area - thought the wine lacked complexity and was lacking in flavor - a big disappointment - it could have been the individual bottle - by all rights this should have been a good wine

2912 Sea Smoke, Sta. Rita Hills, Southing, Pinot Noir - way to young to be opened. - again did not have that much going for it

2014 Cloudy Bay, New Zealand, Sauvignon Blanc - passed on this wine - have had it before and it is just not my style of Sau Blanc - too much grapefruit, too acidic and a heavy cat pee odor -  Patty was trying to find a place to dump hers

2014 Equinoxe, Rhone, Crozes-Hermitage, Syrah - did not get to taste this wine - the bottle never made it to our table 

2012 EOS,  Dry Creek Valley, Wolcott Vineyard, Zinfandel - did not taste

No comments: