Thursday, July 28, 2016

Chianina & Merryvale Wines

Wednesday, July 27, 2018

Chianina , www.chianina.com,  in Naples hosted a Merryvale wine tonight.  Four of us attended. Place was crowded and sold out.  We started out with a "Stuzzichino" - Chilled Corn Gazpacho with crab and avocado. Excellent flavor. But I am always amazed at such a huge plate/bowl for a portion that is about a half cup. Guess to make you feel you are getting more that you are. The wine was a 2014 Merryvale, Carneros, Chardonnay. Clean wine and very light oak.

First course was a pan roasted Monkfish. This fish is one of my favorites and you do not see it on menus too often. Served with mushrooms, baby turnips, carrots and a Lobster Bordelaise sauce. Monkfish has a texture very similar to lobster. Dish was good but I felt the fish was cooked just a tad too long. Paired with a 2012 Merryvale, Carneros, Pinot Noir. Wine went well with the food but was not the best when drunk by itself.

Second course served was a Braised Lamb Cavatelli  with eggplant puree, fried chickpeas and cavatelli pasta. Good dish. Loads of flavor. My favorite dish of the night. The wine was a 2012 Merryvale, Napa Valley, Cabernet Sayuvignon. Wine was way to young. I felt it did not pair as well with the food dish. I tried the Pinot with the lamb and it was a much better pairing.

Third course turned out to be a huge disappointment. Chianina New York steak with potato, bone marrow crusted squash and tomato. I had two bites of the steak and that was it. No flavor at all, under seasoned and tough. I know Chianina beef does not have much fat and is a bit more chewy was this was just plain tough and I had some grizzle.I had the waiter take the plate.  He did not offer substitution. I also talked with Alejandro, the manager. He apologized  but that was it.  When the owner Michael Dene came around I talked with him. Not only did he apologized he took $50 off the bill. I do not think he was happy that none of his staff really "took care" of the problem.  The wine wa a 2012 Merryvale Profile. A blend of Cabernet and Petite Syrah. Good wine but again way too young.

Dessert was excellent. A vanilla custard with peach and biscotti . Paired with a 2006 Merryvale, Anigua Muscat. Wine had good flavor but was a bit too sweet for me.

But I had good table companions and for the most part the dinner was excellent.

No comments: