Friday, April 29, 2016

Utopia and Hahn Wines

Thursday, April 28, 29016

Utopia restaurant in downtown Long Beach, www.utopiarestaurant.net, hosted a Hahn wine dinner. This place in on the small side but it was sold out. Price was right. $70 including tax and tip. In today's wine dinner markets that is a bargain. I did arrive early which turned out well. I was a least able to get a parking space  right by the restaurant. A half hour later and I would have circling the block looking.

Chatted with the wine reps before going in. Somehow I can never remember their names. Guess there are too many of them. But then most of the time they recognize me but can't remember my name.

Hahn winery is in the Santa Lucia Highlands area. Not expensive wines but fairly solid.

We started out with an appetizer of Warm Brie with caramelized garlic and onions.  Simple but very good. The wine was a 2014 Hahn, Monterey County, Pinot Gris. Clean , crisp and light.

Second course was  Pepper Dusted Grilled Scallops with a ginger, sesame wine sauce.  When I saw the wine pairing  I thought it would be a disaster. A 2013 Hahn, Monterey County, Pinot Noir.  Turned out perfect. The ginger, sesame sauce had quite a bite to it and the wine actually went well with it. Big surprise. The scallops were cooked perfectly. The wine was big and fruity. Not to my liking but paired well.

Next a plate of Grilled Lamb Chops with garlic mint sauce was served. I am not into mint with my lamb but the garlic sauce was great. served on two slices of grilled squash which apparently were supposed to be cold and a mound of mashed potatoes. That did not rock my boat. Chops were good, sauce was great but the rest was a disappointment.  The wine was the best of the night. A 2014 Hahn, Monterey County, GSM. Well balanced. just the right amount of fruit forwardness. A very nice wine for being inexpensive. $14 a bottle. A bargain.

Dessert was a nice warm house made apple tart with vanilla ice cream and a sliced strawberries. This was served with a Trenatadue Chocolate Amore wine. Very chocolate aroma and taste. Not overly sweet. A good selection.

A decent dinner, price was right. Several food items were excellent. The rest OK.  Amir, the owner was apparently glad to see me. Came by our table several times to talk with me. More than usual. Might do the wine dinner with them next month depending on the date.

No comments: