Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Sweet Summer Finale at Franco's

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

This was the 3rd wine dinner Franco's has held this year. Completely sold out. They actually closed the restaurant at 5:00 for the private event dinner. Had not done that before. The owners and staff at Franco's seem to getting the hang of hosting dinners.  Next one will be November 3, 2015

We started out with several glasses of 2012 San Gimignano Vernaccia. I first tasted this grape in San Gimignano, Italy. I had the varietal on my list to find. Walking thought the town, built on a hillside, I spotted a sign that said "wine bar".  It was one of the wines being poured that day. Turned out to be a former convent and the building had been repurposed.

The first course was Cozi Ripiene, stuffed mussels on the half shell. Excellent and the sauce they sat in was bread sopping good. This was my favorite dish of the evening. They again poured a glass of the Vernaccia with this course. So first course and 3 glasses of wine down.

Second course was a big surprise. Insalata Di Misticanza, Bibb lettuce (super cold and crsisp) and arugula salad with grape tomatoes, tiny thinly sliced cucumbers, robiola crostino (excellent) and a white balsamic vinaigrette.  A red wine was poured with the salad. Never would I have paired a red wine with lettuce. Most white wines don't go with lettuce. Big surprise, it did pair very well. Don't know why. Wine was a 2011 Antica Burchino Chiani Organic.

Next was the entree. Arrosto di Maiale con Pesche, roasted pork chop with glazed peaches and creamed potatoes. Potatoes were to die for . Really good. The pork was a bit dry. Do not think they brined it before hand. Glazed peaches had very good flavor. I have about a third of mine and had it boxed to go. Then when I left I forgot it. Carrying a couple bottles of wine and navigating my way out on the backside of the table I just plain forgot to pick it up. Paired with a 2010 Villa Marin Ripasso. A good pairing.

Dessert was good but not the best pairing. A good pairing but. Torta di Cioccolato Blanco, white chocolate mousse tart with strawberries. Very good mousse. But the wine was a 2011 Aubin Cellars Verue Gerwurztraminer and I felt that this wine should have been paired with something made with stone  fruits, peaches, nectarines, plums maybe even pears. It was an OK pairng but would have been a standout with a peach cobbler.

I did buy 2 bottles of the Vernaccia and 2 bottles of the Verue. Don't need more wine but these were really good and reasonable. The reds they poured tonight were good but not standouts. But they were really being bought up by the dinner guests tonight. Maybe my "taster" is still off from Saturday night. Wines did nothing for me that night either.

No comments: