Friday, June 12, 2015

Ruth's Chris Anniversary Dinner

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Met Paul and Margie at Ruth's Chris for the restaurants 50th Anniversary dinner. During the presentation before dinner we found out how the restaurant got its name and some history of Ruth and her friendship with the Mondavi family. This was a Prix Fixe dinner with open seating. We were seating with a young female named Phoebe that was with Constellation Brands. They handled all the wines and alcohol that was served tonight. All the food dishes served tonight are the favorites of the owner Ruth Ann Udstad who passed away a few years ago.

As we were ushered into the room they set aside for private parties we were handed a "cocktail". Basically an Old Fashioned made with Casa Noble Anejo Tequila. Nice flavor but since these drinks were all pre-made ahead of time and setting on a table when you walked in the ice melted too much and I felt it tasted watered down. Told the Tequila house rep that when he came around asking  what we thought about the drink. When you are setting up for close to 50 people that is what happens.

This cocktail was the beverage paired with the first dish.  New Orleans Shrimp and Grits.  Shrimp were tender and fresh. good flavors on the grits and sauce. Complaint - we seated under a A/C vent and the food cooled down very fast. By time I got to that last few forkfuls the food was cold.

The salad was Fresh Mozzarella with Kumato Tomato. The tomatoes had a balsamic drizzled over them. I thought they may have been cooked but one bite and I knew that didn't happen. I am not into fresh tomatoes. Love them cooked. But I do know enough about them to know these were probably hot house tomatoes and not much flavor. I ate the greens and mozzarella. The wine paired was a Franciscan Estate, Cuvee Savage Chardonnay. A nice wine with no oak.

Soup course served. Ruth's Original French Onion Soup with savory aged swiss and herb pastry. Good, rich flavor. A very nice soup. I do like French Onion Soups. Don't seem to get them too often anymore. Just might have to make myself a pot of it. A Tom Gore Vineyards, Field Blend wine was poured. A blend of Tempranillo, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvigon, Petite Verdot and Petite Syrah. I could really taste the Petite Syrah but would have never guessed that Tempranillo was in it. This was a well balanced wine. Had not heard of this winery before.

Main course was a 12 ounce USDA Prime New York Strip steak. I will say the flavor of this steak was far better than the petite filet that I had here a few months ago. Sides were Potatoes au Gratin and Creamed Spinach. I was totally sated at this point and had the steak packaged to go. Paired with a Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon.  Excellent pairing. But steak and cab are naturals together.

Dessert was Classic Creme Burlee served with strawberries and blackberries. A Robert Mondavi Moscato d'Oro wine was the wine with this dish. Not to sweet and went well together.

We did get bread and butter at our table thanks to Phoebe. It was not an offering of the restaurant and we were the only table to have it.

I will say the portions were good size and no one went hungry. The pours of wine were in the 4 to 5 ounce range. I did not finish my wine  and gave them the Paul. Since Margie was driving Paul could indulge. A nice evening, good dinner and good friends. Just the way I like to end my day.

No comments: