Monday, April 28, 2014

Whiskey Seminar

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Wine Country, www,TheWineCountry.Com and  Delius Restaurant, www.deliusrestaurant.com, hosted a whiskey tasting tonight. 10 whiskey' were being poured. Sat with a bunch of younger males. Did not want to upset the married women who were with the spouses. Women always seem to think that if you are single you are after their "man". So insecure.

Started off with two Irish whiskies. I am not familiar with these. Much to my surprise I really liked the second one poured. A Red Breast 12 year old.. Then off to two bourbons. Not my favorite but the James E Pepper 1776 was my pick of the two.

A Canadian and a whiskey that is distilled in Park City, Utah were next. Neither one of them  on my radar.

Two Ryes were poured. I do like Rye but these two didn't make my list. One was POW-Wow Botanical which had too much spice in it. Really heavy on the cloves. Apparently a German tradition.

Two single malt scotches were on the list. I do like single malts but these were a slight disappointment I was not into the Deanston Virgin Oak and the Gordon & McPhail Mortlach 15 year Speysides ok. I have had the Speyside before. But still would not put the money out for it.

We ended up with a anise cake with a whiskey sauce to help fill our stomachs before we left. It was a good tasting because at least I found out what I really don't like without buying a bottle of it.  Had a nice time with the young kids. I was old enough to be their mother or even grandmother but they tolerated me.

No comments: