Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pipestone Wines & Delius Restaurant

Friday, April 26, 2013

This was a full house for dinner this evening. Usually is when its a winemaker dinner.

We started out with Apricot Parsnip Ravioli with a brown butter and pine nut sauce. This ravioli was my favorite dish of the night. Paired perfectly with a 2011 Viognier, barrel sample. This wine has not been bottled yet. I am not a fan of white Rhone wines and I would not like to drink a glass of this wine by itself but it was so perfect with the dish.

Second course was Roasted Squab, Brussels Sprouts, Roasted Tomato Ragout. Good dish except I felt the Brussels Sprouts needed a minute more of cooking. I like my vegetables to have some crunch but I felt these were to close to raw. Paired with a 2009 Grenache.

Third course was Crispy Sweetbreads, Jerusalem Artichokes, Pearl Onions and Heirloom Baby Carrots. They deep fried the sweetbreads which was an unusual way of cooking them. But I really liked the way they turned out. Wine poured was a 2008 Rhone Style Red.

Main Course was Marinated Flat Iron Steak with Farro Risotto, Steak was excellent but I found that the Farro needed to be cooked a little longer. Just a tad too al dente for me. Good flavor. and went very well with the 2008 Syrah.

Dessert was a very good Frozen Lemon Souffle, Graham Cracker Tuile, Lemon Chip and Strawberry Coulis.

Very good dinner, just a couple of minor flaws for me personally. Had great conversation with the winery owner, Jeff Pipes, the rep Bert and his wife. Looking forward to the next winemaker dinner which will be Andrew Murray. Should be another sold out event.

No comments: