Sunday, April 28, 2013

Annes Boutique Wines & The Alley

Saturday, April 27, 2013

This was Margie's April Fun Wine Activity event today. First we headed off to Costa Mesa to Anne's Boutique Wines on 17th St. I brought a cheese platter and Margie brought other goodies for the tasting.

We tasted 7 wines along with a Patricia Greene Pinot that Margie had brought along for Anne to taste.

Nice small wine store with an unusual collection of small wineries being showcased. I will have to go back again some day when I have more time to take a really good look around.

At 7'o'clock we met at The Alley which was just a few minutes away from the wine shop. This restaurant is a landmark in Newport. 12 of us were here tonight for dinner.

The special of the day was a prime rib with two sides for $15. Can't beat that. Several of us had this and we were all happy with our dinners. I had expected the slice of meat to be on the small side but it was quite large and I ended up taking half of it home. Of course I couldn't have been full from the mac n' cheese appetizer CJ ordered ? It was the most decadent, rich mac n'cheese I have ever had. Everyone was happy with what they ordered. there was a wide variety upon the 12 of us and no complaints. Service was good

I brought a 2005 Sea Smoke Southing Pinot Noir and a 2009 Roar Rosella's Chardonnay. CJ brought a 2006 Williams Seylem Russian River Pinot Noir which was excellent.

Other wines of the night were 2011 Clos Pepe Homage to Chablis Chardonnay, (one of my favorites)  2011 Dave Phiney "I", 2009 Stoplman L'Avion (Roussane), 2007 Turley Juvenile Zinfandel,  NV Paul Goerg Blanc de Blanc Premier Cru Brut Champagne, (excellent) 2004 Pago dei Feusi Taurasi (red), 2004 Terredora Dipola, 2009 Seal Beach Winery Pinot Noir, Porque'no and a Rata Sauvignon Blanc

No comments: